From: Jeffrey Scofield <jeffsco@psellos.com>
To: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rich@annexia.org>
Cc: Jeffrey Scofield <jeffsco@psellos.com>, Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: [Caml-list] Re: OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:48:18 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Rich,

> RHEL itself includes OCaml, so it's normal for EPEL not to
> have OCaml, but to have several additional libraries for OCaml.

It seems a little tricky since OCaml is in the Optional Channel of RHEL.
(I'm not sure how it all fits together, maybe this isn't quite the right
way to describe it.)  Perhaps this makes things difficult for other
releases that are trying to use EPEL (like Amazon Linux).  The EPEL page
seems to say it's supposed to work with other Linux variants.

There's some evidence that CentOS has solved the problem (by supporting
OCaml packages directly in their base release).  This suggests that
Amazon Linux is the odd one out.  I'll try to send Amazon a feature
request for OCaml, if I can figure out how.

But it would also be cool if EPEL decided to support OCaml directly.
If they're really independent of RHEL, seems like they maybe should.

> It sounds to me as if "Amazon Linux" is broken, or you need
> to enable something.

While googling I saw a few other "Amazon Linux" users who were looking for
packages that seem to have fallen through the cracks.

> One thing you might try is looking in /etc/yum.repos.d and
> see if anything is "enabled=0" which should be "enabled=1".

Thanks; this is something I thought to try.  It didn't make any
difference for OCaml support.

Thanks again for the help.

Jeffrey
Seattle WA