From: Muriel SHAN SEI FAN <muriel.shanseifan@ocamlpro.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] [ANN] First Public Release (beta) of the Memthol memory profiling visualizer
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2020 16:53:37 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear OCaml users (and fans),

We are happy to announce the first public release of Memthol
<https://github.com/OCamlPro/memthol>, a visualizer and analyzer for
memory profiling data generated from OCaml programs, by Adrien Champion
and Vincent Laviron at OCamlPro.

"Memthol works on memory dumps containing information about the size and
(de)allocation date of part of the allocations performed by some
execution of a program."
/Information about building Memthol, features, browser compatibility can
be found in the //memthol github repository
<https://github.com/OCamlPro/memthol>//. //
//Please note that Memthol, as a side project, is a work in progress
that remains in beta status for now. /

The Memthol work was started more than a year ago (we had published a
short introductory paper at the JFLA2020
<http://jfla.inria.fr/jfla2020.html>). The whole idea was to use the
previous work originally done on ocp-memprof
<https://memprof.typerex.org/> and achieve a usable and industrial
version. Then came the excellent memtrace profiler
<https://blog.janestreet.com/finding-memory-leaks-with-memtrace/> by
Jane Street's team. The memtrace format is nicely designed and polished
enough to be considered a future standard for other tools. This is why
Memthol supports Jane Street's dumper format, instead of our own dumper
library's.

Memthol is now released under the free GPLv3 license. (We welcome any
extra funding to achieve a more usable and industrial version.)

Memthol's features:

  * multi-client: open several tabs in your browser for the same
    profiling session to visualize the data separately
  * self-contained: the BUI packs all its static assets, once you have
    the binary you do not need anything else (except a browser)
  * data-splitting: plot several families of data separately in the same
    chart by separating them based on size, allocation lifetime, source
    locations in the allocation callstack, etc.

A short tutorial is available on the github repository and blogpost:
https://www.ocamlpro.com/2020/12/01/memthol-exploring-program-profiling/

Issues are of course welcome. As Memthol is mostly tested on the Chrome
web browser, you might experience problems with other browsers: do not
hesitate open issues!

Have fun!

--
Muriel, p/o Adrien & Vincent, from OCamlPro
https://www.ocamlpro.com/