From: james woodyatt <jhwoodyatt@mac.com>
To: The Trade <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] parsing and emitting Unix.inet_addr values
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:26:19 -0800	[thread overview]

On Thursday, November 15, 2001, at 12:30 , Francois Rouaix wrote:

> I guess that this proved that you can get any OCaml application IPv6
> enabled if you do the appropriate work in libunix. Maybe Francis still
> has a copy of that code BTW.

I had a conversation a couple days ago with a co-worker who is active in
several IETF activities, and we were commiserating about the sorry state
of industry efforts to transition away from IPv4 to IPv6.  I've almost
convinced myself that it will never happen.  He's not nearly so
pessimistic as me.

We agreed that one of things holding back development of IPv6
applications are the crufty interfaces that C language programmers have
as a result of extending the BSD sockets API in the way they did.

I'm very encouraged to see the Caml team taking appropriate steps to
avoid that pitfall.  Very encouraged.  I had been planning to leave open
support for AAAA or A6 resource records (whichever emerges as the
standard) in my stub resolver, and now I have a better reason for doing
the extra work.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
"...the antidote to misinformation is more information, not less."