From: Christian Lindig <lindig@cs.uni-sb.de>
To: Mark Shinwell <Mark.Shinwell@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] how to enlarge header of blocks?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:17:40 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 26.08.2005 um 13:34 schrieb Mark Shinwell:

> What information do you wish to store?  Rather than adjusting the block
> headers, it might be possible to simply tack it onto the end as extra
> fields, provided those fields obey the GC structure constraints.

Currently I'd just like to store the address of the allocation site.
I've tried adding an extra field, hoping that the run-time system would
never access it. But either I did not get it right, or my assumptions
about the run-time system were too simple. In any case, the programs
crashed. I believe this had to do with the representation of arrays but
no longer remember exactly.

As an alternative, one could maintain a table on the side that maps the
address of the block to whatever information is associated with it. But
since the garbage collector moves blocks, this isn't simple to
maintain, either.

-- Christian