* Testing lexers and parsers
@ 2007-02-27 15:29 Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-02-27 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Folks,

I'm trying to incrementally develop a translator using a test-driven
approach. I figure I can write a bunch of tests for small chunks of
functionality to structurally test expected AST against produced.

Once I get to testing the parsing of whole files I think I can print
the AST I produce into a file and test this against a target file
with the correct printed AST. I can probably run 'cmp' to make sure
my files match. This would not be a structural comparison, though,
and would be highly dependent on white space which does not strike me
as ideal.

Is there a better way to accomplish this while still using structural
comparison of ASTs?

Should I try to read my target AST into OCaml, for example? Should I
create a bunch of "target AST" modules with functions that return my
target AST?

How does everyone else approach testing of lexers and parsers?

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/