* [Caml-list] Enhanced OCaml Documentation 4.01
@ 2013-09-24 20:25 Hendrik Tews
From: Hendrik Tews @ 2013-09-24 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear all,

I would like to announce

                 The Enhanced OCaml Documentation
                          Version 4.01
   available via http://www.askra.de/software/ocaml-doc/4.01

This version of the OCaml manual enhances the original html
version in the following way:

- Changes (wrt version 4.00) are tagged with icons and color
- an additional appendix contains all grammar rules

As always, the enhanced documentation reveals some points that
have not been mentioned in the official 4.01 announcement from
Damien Doligez. This time, the most important such point is that
the documentation approves what long-term OCaml hackers have been
using for years to improve their code. You can use an infix
symbol as for-loop-variable:

   for (+) = ... to ... do ... done

will (mostly) word as (un)expected!
;-)

Enjoy,

Hendrik

* Re: [Caml-list] Enhanced OCaml Documentation 4.01
@ 2013-09-25  5:32 ` Stéphane Glondu
From: Stéphane Glondu @ 2013-09-25  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le 24/09/2013 22:25, Hendrik Tews a écrit :
> [...]
> the documentation approves what long-term OCaml hackers have been
> using for years to improve their code. You can use an infix
> symbol as for-loop-variable:
>
>    for (+) = ... to ... do ... done
>
> will (mostly) word as (un)expected!

Really? People actually do that?

--
Stéphane

* Re: [Caml-list] Enhanced OCaml Documentation 4.01
@ 2013-09-25  6:43   ` Hendrik Tews
From: Hendrik Tews @ 2013-09-25  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> writes:

   Le 24/09/2013 22:25, Hendrik Tews a écrit :
   > [...]
   > the documentation approves what long-term OCaml hackers have been
   > using for years to improve their code. You can use an infix
   > symbol as for-loop-variable:
   >
   >    for (+) = ... to ... do ... done
   >
   > will (mostly) work as (un)expected!

   Really? People actually do that?

Stéphane, if you quote me, please don't erase the smilies, I use
them rarely enough!

The above was a joke, but I was really surprised to see that

   for (+) = 1 to 5 do Printf.printf "%d\n" ((+) * 2) done

actually works. I still wonder, if there is a useful application
for this "feature".

Bye,

@ 2013-09-25 19:54     ` Hongbo Zhang
From: Hongbo Zhang @ 2013-09-25 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Tews, Caml List

On 9/25/13 2:43 AM, Hendrik Tews wrote:
> Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> writes:
>
>     Le 24/09/2013 22:25, Hendrik Tews a écrit :
>     > [...]
>     > the documentation approves what long-term OCaml hackers have been
>     > using for years to improve their code. You can use an infix
>     > symbol as for-loop-variable:
>     >
>     >    for (+) = ... to ... do ... done
>     >
>     > will (mostly) work as (un)expected!
>
>     Really? People actually do that?
>
> Stéphane, if you quote me, please don't erase the smilies, I use
> them rarely enough!
>
> The above was a joke, but I was really surprised to see that
>
>     for (+) = 1 to 5 do Printf.printf "%d\n" ((+) * 2) done
>
> actually works. I still wonder, if there is a useful application
> for this "feature".
I think we really need a hand written parser sometime :-)