From: "Jocelyn Sérot" <jocelyn.serot@wanadoo.fr>
To: "Mattias Waldau" <mattias.waldau@abc.se>
Cc: "'Oliver Bandel'" <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>, <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Books on FP
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:15:29 +0100	[thread overview]

Le vendredi, 24 jan 2003, à 16:55 Europe/Paris, Mattias Waldau a écrit :

> Cousineau and Mauny's "The Functional Approach to Programming" is okay,
> especially if want to program ocaml (even it has this stupid approach
> have a slightly different syntax in the book, which is so common for
> books written by academics :-)

The book uses Caml Light syntax. I agree this is annoying for those
who want to start with Objective Caml. But Caml Light is ok when
learning
FP and the syntax differences are really minor so that
shifting/translating from one
to the other is straightforward.

> What did you think about the O'Reilly book on www.ocaml.org?

Great book for doing "real" Ocaml programming (as opposed to learning).
But the focus is, imho, more on technical than on "fundamental" issues.

Personnaly, i use Cousineau and Mauny as a textbook when teaching
and the Oreilly as a reference book for my hacking.

> I am still looking for a bug like "Advanced tricks for the
> ML-programmer", something like "Advanced C++ Programming Styles and
> Idioms"
> by James O. Coplien.

So the Oreilly book may be a good choice ..

Just my 2 cents.
I would be happy to hear opinions from other Caml users

Jocelyn
--
E-mail: Jocelyn.Serot@l_a_s_m_e_a.u_n_i_v-bpclermont.fr
S-mail: LASMEA - UMR 6602 CNRS, Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere