* unused variable error with objects
@ 2008-03-20 13:40 Ralph Douglass
From: Ralph Douglass @ 2008-03-20 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I'm a little confused by some code that I'm trying to compile some code with
"-w Ae -warn-error Ae".

Below is an examle:

class foo = object
  method bar ~(snoo : string) = ()
end;;

let biff = new foo;;
biff#bar ~snoo:"hi";;

When I compile it (ocamlc -c -w Ae -warn-error Ae foo.ml), as expected, I
get:
File "foo.ml", line 2, characters 15-19:
Warning Z: unused variable snoo.

With labeled functions, I usually do something like ~snoo:_, but it does not
work in this exampled with methods:
---
class foo = object
  method bar ~(snoo : string):_ = ()
end;;

let biff = new foo;;
biff#bar ~snoo:"hi";;
--
ocamlc -c -w Ae -warn-error Ae foo.ml
File "foo.ml", line 2, characters 15-19:
Warning Z: unused variable snoo.

On a whim, I did the following, which surprisingly worked:

class foo = object
  method bar ~(_snoo : string) = ()
end;;

let biff = new foo;;
biff#bar ~_snoo:"hi";;

And that compiles, which confused me.  But I have to put the underbar into
the method call, which seems wrong.
Is there a solution to this?

I'm running 3.10.1, from godi.

Thanks!

--
Ralph

* Re: [Caml-list] unused variable error with objects
@ 2008-03-20 13:57 ` Julien Signoles
From: Julien Signoles @ 2008-03-20 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Douglass; +Cc: Caml List

> With labeled functions, I usually do something like ~snoo:_, but it does not
> work in this exampled with methods:
> ---
> class foo = object
>  method bar ~(snoo : string):_ = ()
> end;;
>
> let biff = new foo;;
> biff#bar ~snoo:"hi";;
> --
> ocamlc -c -w Ae -warn-error Ae foo.ml
> File "foo.ml", line 2, characters 15-19:
> Warning Z: unused variable snoo.
>
> On a whim, I did the following, which surprisingly worked:
>
> class foo = object
>  method bar ~(_snoo : string) = ()
> end;;
>
> let biff = new foo;;
> biff#bar ~_snoo:"hi";;
>
> And that compiles, which confused me.  But I have to put the underbar into
> the method call, which seems wrong.
> Is there a solution to this?

Try this:

class foo = object
   method bar ~snoo:(_:string) = ()
end;;
(new foo)#bar ~snoo:"hi";;

--
Julien

* Re: [Caml-list] unused variable error with objects
@ 2008-03-20 13:58 ` Jeremy Yallop
From: Jeremy Yallop @ 2008-03-20 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Douglass; +Cc: Caml List

Ralph Douglass wrote:
> With labeled functions, I usually do something like ~snoo:_, but it does
> not work in this exampled with methods:
> ---
> class foo = object
>   method bar ~(snoo : string):_ = ()
> end;;

In this case the ':_' denotes a type annotation, using the "any-type"
expression '_'.  You're declaring the return type of the method, as
you'll see if you change the annotation to something incompatible with
unit, such as

    class foo = object
      method bar ~(snoo : string):int = ()
    end

> On a whim, I did the following, which surprisingly worked:
>
> class foo = object
>   method bar ~(_snoo : string) = ()
> end;;

This works because the "unused variables" warning is disabled for
variables which start with an underscore.  It's a useful feature for
normal bindings but I don't think you should use it for labels, since it
changes the interface.

> Is there a solution to this?

I think the following is what you want:

    class foo = object
      method bar ~snoo:(_:string) = ()
    end

Jeremy.

* Re: [Caml-list] unused variable error with objects
@ 2008-03-20 15:42   ` Ralph Douglass
From: Ralph Douglass @ 2008-03-20 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Yallop; +Cc: Caml List