Not_found and Failure _ can be a bit annoying to watch for, so I suggest using Core. The default behavior for most functions is to return an option instead of raising an exception. There are _exn versions of the functions if you want exceptions. On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Vincent Hanquez wrote: > On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 01:39:54AM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote: > > > > Brian Hurt recently published the following blog post "Why OCaml sucks": > > > > http://enfranchisedmind.com/blog/2008/05/07/why-ocaml-sucks/ > > > > I think it is interesting to discuss which aspects of OCaml can be > improved > > upon and how but I disagree with some of his points. I'll address each of > the > > original points in turn: > > yeah, a new troll post (!) > > > 1. Lack of Parallelism: Yes, this is already a complete show stopper. > > no it's not. it's in your fantasy world. lots of applications doesn't > (or marginally) benefits from parallelism, and that your specific turf > would benefit from them, is not a good reason to impose their drawbacks > on everybody else. > > > 5. Strings: pushing unicode throughout a general purpose language is a > > mistake, IMHO. This is why languages like Java and C# are so slow. > > unicode string should not be the default string, but unicode string need > to be available as a first class citizen. again, ocaml is not about doing > raytracer in opengl only. > > > 7. Not_found: I like this, and Exit and Invalid_argument. Brian's point > that > > the name of this exception does not convey its source is fallacious: > that's > > what exception traces are for. > > exception traces are *not* available in long running program (daemon). > and having a Not_found crippling somewhere is just plain annoying. > > even having something like a List.Not_found/Hashtbl.Not_found would make > thing a bit easier. > > > 8. Exceptions: I love OCaml's extremely fast exception handling (6x > faster > > than C++, 30x faster than Java and 600x faster than C#/F#!). I hate > > the "exceptions are for exceptional circumstances" line promoted by the > > advocates of any language implementation with cripplingly-slow exception > > handlers. > > exceptions are for exceptional circumstances. using them as a fancy goto > mechanism is just plain stupid and really bad programming style. > > > 9. Deforestation: Brian says "Haskell has introduced a very interesting > and > > (to my knowledge) unique layer of optimization, called deforrestation". > True, > > of course, but useless theoretical piffle because we know that Haskell is > > slow in practice and prohibitively difficult to optimize to-boot. > Deforesting > > is really easy to do by hand. > > have you been hiding in a cave lately ? > haskell has improve its performance lately; not on everything, but still > can beat ocaml on some micro benchmarks. > > > I have other wish-list items of my own to add: > > > > . No 16Mb limit. > > use 64 bits. > > -- > Vincent > > _______________________________________________ > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management: > http://yquem.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/caml-list > Archives: http://caml.inria.fr > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > -- Ralph