* Portable Ocaml multiprocessing?
@ 2009-01-28 18:22 Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2009-01-28 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

There are numerous environments/libraries that support process-based
Ocaml multiprocessing: jocaml, OCamlP3l, OcamlMPI (and probably
others). Do I get it right that all of them are Unix-only?

- Dmitry Bely

* Re: Portable Ocaml multiprocessing?
@ 2009-01-28 22:35 ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2009-01-28 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 28-01-2009, Dmitry Bely <dmitry.bely@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are numerous environments/libraries that support process-based
> Ocaml multiprocessing: jocaml, OCamlP3l, OcamlMPI (and probably
> others). Do I get it right that all of them are Unix-only?

jocaml and ocamlp3l seems indeed unix only. I think however that there
is no reason that MPI cannot be used on Windows (I assume this is your
question). Maybe it will require some additional work.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Portable Ocaml multiprocessing?
@ 2009-01-28 22:43   ` Andres Varon
From: Andres Varon @ 2009-01-28 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Bely; +Cc: Sylvain Le Gall, caml users

On Jan 28, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:

> On 28-01-2009, Dmitry Bely <dmitry.bely@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are numerous environments/libraries that support process-based
>> Ocaml multiprocessing: jocaml, OCamlP3l, OcamlMPI (and probably
>> others). Do I get it right that all of them are Unix-only?
>>

> jocaml and ocamlp3l seems indeed unix only. I think however that there
> is no reason that MPI cannot be used on Windows (I assume this is your
> question). Maybe it will require some additional work.

OcamlMPI in windows works fine. I have distributed software using
mpich2 for that platform with no problem, and the same code runs in OS
X, Linux, and Windows workstations, as well as clusters using a
variety of operating systems. Very portable.

Andres

> Regards,
> Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] Portable Ocaml multiprocessing?
@ 2009-01-28 22:44 ` Andres Varon
From: Andres Varon @ 2009-01-28 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Bely; +Cc: Caml List

On Jan 28, 2009, at 1:22 PM, Dmitry Bely wrote:

> There are numerous environments/libraries that support process-based
> Ocaml multiprocessing: jocaml, OCamlP3l, OcamlMPI (and probably
> others). Do I get it right that all of them are Unix-only?

I have used mpich2 in windows: http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/

Andres

@ 2009-01-28 23:38   ` Zheng Li
From: Zheng Li @ 2009-01-28 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 1/28/2009 11:35 PM, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> On 28-01-2009, Dmitry Bely<dmitry.bely@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> There are numerous environments/libraries that support process-based
>> Ocaml multiprocessing: jocaml, OCamlP3l, OcamlMPI (and probably
>> others). Do I get it right that all of them are Unix-only?
>>

> jocaml and ocamlp3l seems indeed unix only. I think however that there
> is no reason that MPI cannot be used on Windows (I assume this is your
> question). Maybe it will require some additional work.

OcamlP3l should have no substantial problems running on windows and
other OSes. AFAICS, the only missing part is just specialized Makefiles
(on those platforms).

Regards
--
Zheng