* Hoogle for Ocaml
@ 2009-12-03 16:08 Matthias Görgens
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthias Görgens @ 2009-12-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Is there an equivalent to Haskell's Hoogle for Ocaml?

Matthias.

* Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml
@ 2009-12-03 16:17 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-12-03 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Görgens; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 04:08:08PM +0000, Matthias Görgens wrote:
> Is there an equivalent to Haskell's Hoogle for Ocaml?

Not really ..  I have been meaning for several years to implement
something like *CPAN* for OCaml.  CPAN is much more than what people
here seem to think it is.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml
@ 2009-12-03 16:31 ` Tom Hutchinson
From: Tom Hutchinson @ 2009-12-03 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Görgens; +Cc: caml-list

This might be what you're looking for:

http://docs.camlcity.org/docs/index.html

You can search through the files in all of the GODI packages. It's not
just function names and type signatures so you might get more results
than you want.

Tom

@ 2009-12-03 16:51   ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2009-12-03 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Not really ..  I have been meaning for several years to implement
> something like *CPAN* for OCaml.  CPAN is much more than what people
> here seem to think it is.

Out of curiosity, what's in CPAN that's not in GODI ?

* What is CPAN? (was: Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml)
@ 2009-12-03 18:00     ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-12-03 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rixed; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:51:00PM +0100, rixed@happyleptic.org wrote:
> > Not really ..  I have been meaning for several years to implement
> > something like *CPAN* for OCaml.  CPAN is much more than what people
> > here seem to think it is.
>
> Out of curiosity, what's in CPAN that's not in GODI ?

OK, I knew I'd have to answer this question :-)

CPAN is:

(1) A network of redundant mirrors which means you can always get the
tarball you need, even when the original site is down:

http://mirrors.geoexpat.com/cpan/authors/id/R/RW/RWMJ/
http://mirror.unej.ac.id/cpan/authors/id/R/RW/RWMJ/
http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/CPAN/authors/id/R/RW/RWMJ/
(more: http://search.cpan.org/mirror)

(2) CPAN unpacks each tarball and makes the source and documentation
available in a browsable way:

http://search.cpan.org/~rwmj/Net-FTPServer-1.122/lib/Net/FTPServer.pm
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/RWMJ/Net-FTPServer-1.122/lib/Net/FTPServer.pm

(3) An excellent search tool:

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=IO%3A%3Astringy&mode=all

(4) A central namespace registry for Perl modules.  Once someone has
the name 'Net::FTPServer', if you want to write an FTP server, you
know you need to give it a different name.

(5) A testing network.  When you submit a new version of your module,
it is picked up by automated and manual testers around the world, who
build and test it on their systems (often oddball ones - eg. I get
reports about it failing to build on SunOS and AIX).

(6) A place where you can browse everything that Perl supports:

http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/
http://www.cpan.org/modules/01modules.index.html

Which is great advertising for Perl, because you can immediately
see the breadth of available libraries for Perl.

(7) A command line tool to download and install CPAN modules:

http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.9402/lib/CPAN.pm#DESCRIPTION

-- Note what CPAN is *not*:

It's not a packaging system.  Perl has its own packaging standard(s)
(like cabal for Haskell), but CPAN doesn't care.  It hosts source
tarballs.

It doesn't store binaries.

It's not strongly centralized.  Actually, it's very loose indeed.
Although there is a central place where you upload modules, they are
very loose about naming, content, licensing etc. (within limits of
course).

--

> Out of curiosity, what's in CPAN that's not in GODI ?

I think that Gerd Stolpmann has (to his credit) done a lot of the work
that CPAN does, but I also think it should be on a firmer footing,
mirrored more widely, the search tools should be linked from the OCaml
home page, and not tied to building modules, but to hosting source
tarballs.  And more inclusive - it should include *every* source
tarball -- as much OCaml source as possible.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml
@ 2009-12-03 18:45   ` Matthias Görgens
From: Matthias Görgens @ 2009-12-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hutchinson; +Cc: caml-list

> This might be what you're looking for:
> http://docs.camlcity.org/docs/index.html

Thanks.  I'll try it.  Does it support e.g. searching for "(a->b) ->
[a] -> [b]" and spitting out List.map?

@ 2009-12-03 19:23     ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2009-12-03 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Görgens; +Cc: Tom Hutchinson, caml-list

Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2009, 18:45 +0000 schrieb Matthias Görgens:
> > This might be what you're looking for:
> > http://docs.camlcity.org/docs/index.html
>
> Thanks.  I'll try it.  Does it support e.g. searching for "(a->b) ->
> [a] -> [b]" and spitting out List.map?

There is no search for type expressions.

Here is the query syntax: http://docs.camlcity.org/docs/syntax.html

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714

* Re: What is CPAN? (was: Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml)
@ 2009-12-03 19:40       ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2009-12-03 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: rixed, caml-list

Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2009, 18:00 +0000 schrieb Richard Jones:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:51:00PM +0100, rixed@happyleptic.org wrote:
> > > Not really ..  I have been meaning for several years to implement
> > > something like *CPAN* for OCaml.  CPAN is much more than what people
> > > here seem to think it is.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, what's in CPAN that's not in GODI ?
>
> OK, I knew I'd have to answer this question :-)
>
> CPAN is:
>
> (1) A network of redundant mirrors which means you can always get the
> tarball you need, even when the original site is down:
>
> http://mirrors.geoexpat.com/cpan/authors/id/R/RW/RWMJ/
> http://mirror.unej.ac.id/cpan/authors/id/R/RW/RWMJ/
> http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/CPAN/authors/id/R/RW/RWMJ/
> (more: http://search.cpan.org/mirror)
>
> (2) CPAN unpacks each tarball and makes the source and documentation
> available in a browsable way:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~rwmj/Net-FTPServer-1.122/lib/Net/FTPServer.pm
> http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/RWMJ/Net-FTPServer-1.122/lib/Net/FTPServer.pm
>
> (3) An excellent search tool:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/search?query=IO%3A%3Astringy&mode=all
>
> (4) A central namespace registry for Perl modules.  Once someone has
> the name 'Net::FTPServer', if you want to write an FTP server, you
> know you need to give it a different name.
>
> (5) A testing network.  When you submit a new version of your module,
> it is picked up by automated and manual testers around the world, who
> build and test it on their systems (often oddball ones - eg. I get
> reports about it failing to build on SunOS and AIX).
>
> (6) A place where you can browse everything that Perl supports:
>
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/01modules.index.html
>
> Which is great advertising for Perl, because you can immediately
> see the breadth of available libraries for Perl.
>
> (7) A command line tool to download and install CPAN modules:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.9402/lib/CPAN.pm#DESCRIPTION
>
> -- Note what CPAN is *not*:
>
> It's not a packaging system.  Perl has its own packaging standard(s)
> (like cabal for Haskell), but CPAN doesn't care.  It hosts source
> tarballs.
>
> It doesn't store binaries.
>
> It's not strongly centralized.  Actually, it's very loose indeed.
> Although there is a central place where you upload modules, they are
> very loose about naming, content, licensing etc. (within limits of
> course).
>
> --
>
> > Out of curiosity, what's in CPAN that's not in GODI ?
>
> I think that Gerd Stolpmann has (to his credit) done a lot of the work
> that CPAN does, but I also think it should be on a firmer footing,
> mirrored more widely, the search tools should be linked from the OCaml
> home page, and not tied to building modules, but to hosting source
> tarballs.  And more inclusive - it should include *every* source
> tarball -- as much OCaml source as possible.

Yes, nice goals - but hard to achieve if you only have limited
resources. Also, don't forget that Perl attracted a lot of sysadmins,
and for them it is a lot of fun to create something like CPAN. For the
typical Ocaml developer it is scripting hell. Finally, there is the
question of creating "normative pressure" so sources have some formal
uniformity - normal for sysadmins, but a no-go for the creative
ocamlists.

I'd say it is a different project than GODI to make sources available,
browsable and searchable. There's some overlap, though.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714

* Re: What is CPAN? (was: Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml)
@ 2009-12-03 21:21         ` rixed
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: rixed @ 2009-12-03 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> > (1) A network of redundant mirrors which means you can always get the
> > tarball you need, even when the original site is down:

If I understand correctly, GODI site does not store any of the source
tarballs, but the makefiles download the sources directly from their
respective home, does it ? Can't we use the MASTER_SITE_BACKUP make
variables to have one or several backup sites ?

If it's usefull I can try to setup a server to download every possible
source tarballs and serve as such a site backup.

But would it be usefull ?

> > (2) CPAN unpacks each tarball and makes the source and documentation
> > available in a browsable way:

Why is it any better than something like that :

http://docs.camlcity.org/docs/godipkg/3.10/godi-frontc/doc/godi-frontc/html/Ctoxml.html

> > (3) An excellent search tool:

Ok.

> > (4) A central namespace registry for Perl modules.  Once someone has
> > the name 'Net::FTPServer', if you want to write an FTP server, you
> > know you need to give it a different name.

Ok ; unfortunately no such authority is required to name the few
(compared to perl) ocaml libraries.

> > (5) A testing network.
> > (6) A place where you can browse everything that Perl supports:

That would be nice to have in Godi as well.

> > (7) A command line tool to download and install CPAN modules:

I like godi_console (despite laking fancy colors :-), although I'd
like a simpler command line tool to be available as well.

* Re: What is CPAN? (was: Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml)
@ 2009-12-04  0:11           ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2009-12-04  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rixed; +Cc: caml-list

Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2009, 21:21 +0000 schrieb
rixed@happyleptic.org:

There are backups, e.g. http://godi-backup2.camlcity.org/

> > > (3) An excellent search tool:

What's wrong with GODI search? (Other than that it isn't comprehensive.)

> Ok.
>
> > > (4) A central namespace registry for Perl modules.  Once someone has
> > > the name 'Net::FTPServer', if you want to write an FTP server, you
> > > know you need to give it a different name.
>
> Ok ; unfortunately no such authority is required to name the few
> (compared to perl) ocaml libraries.
>
> > > (5) A testing network.
> > > (6) A place where you can browse everything that Perl supports:
>
> That would be nice to have in Godi as well.
>
> > > (7) A command line tool to download and install CPAN modules:
>
> I like godi_console (despite laking fancy colors :-), although I'd
> like a simpler command line tool to be available as well.

You can also use godi_console as command-line tool, try godi_console
-help.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714

* Re: What is CPAN? (was: Re: Hoogle for Ocaml)
@ 2009-12-04  0:57           ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2009-12-04  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 03-12-2009, rixed@happyleptic.org <rixed@happyleptic.org> wrote:
>> > (1) A network of redundant mirrors which means you can always get the
>> > tarball you need, even when the original site is down:
>
> If I understand correctly, GODI site does not store any of the source
> tarballs, but the makefiles download the sources directly from their
> respective home, does it ? Can't we use the MASTER_SITE_BACKUP make
> variables to have one or several backup sites ?
>
> If it's usefull I can try to setup a server to download every possible
> source tarballs and serve as such a site backup.
>
> But would it be usefull ?

Yes of course. You can use ocamlcore.org website to do that. I have
already a proof of concept using "uscan" + Debian watch file, to scan
for new upstream on a weekly basis.

Send me a private mail, if you want to proceed.

Once the website is setup, we can use "rsync" to propagate it
(ssh.ocamlcore.org has rsync installed).

Everything is ready on *.ocamlcore.org, we just need some volunteer to
do the work.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: What is CPAN? (was: Re: Hoogle for Ocaml)
@ 2009-12-04  9:28             ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2009-12-04  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

-[ Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:57:35AM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall ]----
> Yes of course. You can use ocamlcore.org website to do that. I have
> already a proof of concept using "uscan" + Debian watch file, to scan
> for new upstream on a weekly basis.

Why not using godi_make fetch in all available build dirs, which will
download everything not already present in the distfiles directory ?

I'm trying this right now, then I will firewall everything but my
test box and see if I can make use of this as a backup...

Should we switch to GODI mailing list now ?

* Re: What is CPAN? (was: Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml)
@ 2009-12-04  9:42           ` Philippe Veber
From: Philippe Veber @ 2009-12-04  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rixed; +Cc: caml-list

> > > (7) A command line tool to download and install CPAN modules:
>
> I like godi_console (despite laking fancy colors :-), although I'd
> like a simpler command line tool to be available as well.

In case you don't know it, you can install packages on command-line very
easily :

godi_perform -build godi-extlib

There's a more elaborated way using wish lists, which I personnaly never use
(but that may be wrong).
ph.

* Re: [Caml-list] Hoogle for Ocaml
@ 2009-12-04 14:12 ` forum
From: forum @ 2009-12-04 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: forum

Le 3 déc. 2009 à 17:08, Matthias Görgens a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Is there an equivalent to Haskell's Hoogle for Ocaml?

There was a tool along those lines for CamlLight (but it seems to be broken):
	http://www.dicosmo.org/TESTS/ENGLISH/CamlSearchCGI.english.html

You should also notice that the search box of OCamlBrowser accepts queries
like "int -> float", returning :
 - Pervasives.float : int -> float
 - Pervasives.float_of_int : int -> float
 - Pervasives.ldexp : float -> int -> float

Hope this helps,

Xavier Clerc