From: Pierre Chambart <pierre.chambart@ocamlpro.com>
To: Mark Hayden <markghayden@yahoo.com>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] <DKIM> Ocaml optimizer pitfalls & work-arounds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 15:39:03 +0100	[thread overview]

I'm coming a bit late to the discussion to tell you that this is not
completely hopeless.
Xavier Leroy was right by telling you that the (mid/back)-end of the
compiler is
untyped and that this hinder this kind of optimization. But it is not
completely
impossible. I've recently being working on some more aggressive unboxing
which
requires propagating some more type information. I took the opportunity to
specialize a few more primitive in flambda. It appears that not so much
more type
annotations are required to be propagated through the intermediate
representations
to be able to improve something like:

  [Array.fold_left max 0.0 arr]

When translating from the typedtree to Lambda, the application arguments
can be
annotated with the kind of values they carry. Here the important
information is that
[arr] is a float array. When fold left is inlined that information can
be propagated to
its uses. I have some tests showing good results on this.

Notice that this is still quite limited. Type propagation on later
representations can
only follow values and flow forward. This is mainly due to GADTs. For
instance

   type 'a t = Float : float t | Int : int t
   type ('a, 'b) eq = Eq : ('a, 'a) eq

   let f (type x) (t : x t) (v : x) (a : x array) (cast : x t -> (x,
float) eq) =
     a.(0) <- v;
     let Eq = cast t in
     v +. 3.14

       (function t/1019 v/1020 a/1021 cast/1022
         (seq (array.set a/1021 0 v/1020)
           (let (match/1028 = (apply cast/1022 t/1019)) (+. v/1020 3.14)))))

Here, for instance, the type of the argument v cannot be deduced from
the (+.)
operation, and specializing the array assignment using it would lead to
segfaults.
--
Pierre Chambart