From: "Ennals, Robert" <robert.ennals@intel.com>
To: "T. Kurt Bond" <tkb@tkb.mpl.com>, <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: RE: AW: [Caml-list] The tag bit
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:58:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Do mostly copying collectors actually solve the problem Andreas was
discussing?

My impression was that mostly copying collectors are only really useful
when the vast majority of pointers are tagged. If all pointers into a
block are tagged, then the block is copied (just as it would be in a
copying collector); however if there are some ambiguous pointers into a
block (e.g. from within some C code you have linked to) then that block
is "pinned" into position, and must remain pinned until there are no
ambiguous pointers into it.

Thus, my impression was the mostly copying collection is great if one
has a language that uses tagged pointers, but wishes it to share GC-ed
objects with a language that doesn't understand tags, but that it
wouldn't really buy you anything in a situation where nothing was tagged
(which is what I think people were proposing).

Of course, I may be talking complete rubbish here - this isn't really my
field. Please feel free to tell me that I've completely misunderstood
everything.

-Rob

Hence