* Native compiler optimizations
@ 2007-06-06 16:13 Raj B
From: Raj B @ 2007-06-06 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi

This is a fairly broad question, but I do need as much info as I can
get. I'm trying to understand
how the OCaml native code compiler works in order to improve my
application's performance.

What kind of compiler optimizations are performed by the OCaml native
code compiler? In particular, what does it do in case of imperative
features (loop, references, sequences). Are there common compiler
optimizations that it does not do, especially compared to C or Fortran?

('Optimizations', of course, is a very broad term)

I've also read somewhere that OCaml optimizes tail-recursion. Does
that mean I don't need to write
for/while-loops if I don't want to without worrying about
performance? Recursion does look cleaner :)

This is probably a much-discussed topic, and I have looked at some of
the older threads (2005 and older). However, I'd appreciate any new
information. The older threads talk about a few books in progress
discussing these issues.

If there's a specific section of the OCaml code base I should stare
at, I'd be glad to know too.

Thanks
Raj

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-06-06 16:14 UTC | newest]