From: Daniil Baturin <daniil@baturin.org>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] camlp4 & OCaml 4.08
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 22:15:22 +0700	[thread overview]

On 6/29/19 4:06 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2019, at 14:45, Richard W.M. Jones <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
>>
>> I know camlp4 is dead and all that, but we've got some software which
>> still uses it.  I will probably port it to camlp5 when I have the
>> time, but has anyone got the patch to make camlp4 work with 4.08?
>
> To fork the thread slightly,  how big are the camlp4 dependencies remaining
> in your codebase, and is there anything we can do to help migrate?
>
> It's pretty exhausting trying to keep camlp4 maintained with a skeleton
> crew, and there appears to be a stubborn tail of packages which aren't
> migrating despite it having been quite a few years since the deprecation.
>
> Having said that, patches for 4.08 support for camlp4 are also welcome
> if anyone wants to step up to help maintain it. It's only deprecated from
> the perspective of being bundled with the core compiler distribution,
> and is now deprecated due to lack of programmer-will to keep it going.
>
> regards,
> Anil

My feeling is that many of those packages still use camlp4 because their
maintainers haven't got time to update them,
rather than due to unending love for camlp4.
Some packages may not even actually use camlp4 at all, it's just their
build setup that requires it.

Perhaps we should make some coordinated effort to help them.
I've just sent a pull request to the ocamldot maintainer that enables
the graphviz files parsing and printing modules
to build and work with 4.08. The GTK parts have their own issues.
Next I'm going to look into LASCAR/RFSM (packages that interest me first ;).

If anyone wants to join the review and patch making process, let me know.
Maybe make a forum thread or an issue in some repo with a dependent
package checklist we can strike through.