From: Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr>
To: "Lionel Fourquaux" <lionel.fourquaux@wanadoo.fr>
Cc: <caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: RE : [Caml-list] building ocaml 3.02 under win32
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:02:52 +0200	[thread overview]

* Lionel Fourquaux <lionel.fourquaux@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Does passing /subsystem:console to the linker help ?  (main is
> hidden in libcamlrun.lib, so the linker fails to guess the
> subsystem.)

In  fact, the  problem was that  I tried  to compile  the whole system
using the default  __fastcall IA32 convention of MSVC  (it will use up
to 2  registers to pass   parameters to functions,  resulting in  less
overhead). I  was wondering about how  much  could be gained.

However, the problem  is that using this  convention requires  all the
functions to be  fully  prototyped. This  is   not the case   when for
example   the byte compiler  emits   the  camlprim0.c  file: all   the
primitives are declared without their arguments.

The changes needed to  cope with this are  beyond the time I can spend
on it right   now,  but  I'm pretty  sure   it  could be   result   in
significative better performances.

Fabrice