* [Caml-list] XEmacs or GNU Emacs?
@ 2004-07-30 19:35 Brandon J. Van Every
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2004-07-30 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have any particular advantage to an
OCaml developer on Windows 2000?  I'm becoming aware that there's a lot
of politics about them, but hopefully people around here are
disinterested and only concerned with what makes OCaml coding easier.
Again, I'm doing Windows.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com
Brand*n Van Every               S*attle, WA

Praise Be to the caml-list Bayesian filter! It blesseth
my postings, it is evil crap!  evil crap!  Bigarray!
Unboxed overhead group!  Wondering!  chant chant chant...

* Re: [Caml-list] XEmacs or GNU Emacs?
@ 2004-07-30 20:03 ` John Prevost
From: John Prevost @ 2004-07-30 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use GNU emacs, myself--but as far as I can tell, it's primarily a
matter of taste.  If you're only interested in an editor-as-editor,
either of those will work, as will any other editor, really.  (I use a
mix of gnu emacs and vi, actually.)

There are also caml modes for windows-specific editors, if I recally
right (take a look at the O'Caml Link Database.)

Johm.

* Re: [Caml-list] XEmacs or GNU Emacs?
@ 2004-07-30 22:08 ` Konstantin Ignatiev
From: Konstantin Ignatiev @ 2004-07-30 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:35:54 -0700, Brandon J. Van Every
<vanevery@indiegamedesign.com> wrote:
> Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have any particular advantage to an
> OCaml developer on Windows 2000?  I'm becoming aware that there's a lot
> of politics about them, but hopefully people around here are
> disinterested and only concerned with what makes OCaml coding easier.
> Again, I'm doing Windows.

Well, if you are using OCaml on WIndows, you probably need Cygwin (at least
as an alternative testing environment), so you can use Cygwin version
of (X)Emacs,
which are much better integrated with the environment (I prefer GNU
Emacs, though I'd
agree that there isn't such a big difference, especially if you are
not using multi-language
features)

-- Konstantin.

* RE: [Caml-list] XEmacs or GNU Emacs?
@ 2004-07-31  3:04   ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2004-07-31  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

Konstantin Ignatiev

> Well, if you are using OCaml on WIndows, you probably need
> Cygwin (at least
> as an alternative testing environment), so you can use Cygwin version
> of (X)Emacs,

Neither XEmacs nor GNU Emacs requires Cygwin on Windows.
http://www.xemacs.org/FAQ/xemacs-faq.html#SEC254
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

@ 2004-08-07  9:14 ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2004-08-07  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: caml

Brandon> Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have any particular advantage to an
Brandon> OCaml developer on Windows 2000?  I'm becoming aware that there's a lot
Brandon> of politics about them, but hopefully people around here are
Brandon> disinterested and only concerned with what makes OCaml coding easier.

A slight advantage might be that the XEmacs package collection comes
with the O'Caml mode.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: [Caml-list] XEmacs or GNU Emacs?
@ 2004-08-07 10:28   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-08-07 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: caml

Selon Michael Sperber <sperber@Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>:

> Brandon> Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have any particular advantage to an
> Brandon> OCaml developer on Windows 2000?  I'm becoming aware that there's a
> lot
> Brandon> of politics about them, but hopefully people around here are
> Brandon> disinterested and only concerned with what makes OCaml coding
> easier.
>
> A slight advantage might be that the XEmacs package collection comes
> with the O'Caml mode.

Which is very outdated and unmaitained.

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: [Caml-list] XEmacs or GNU Emacs?
@ 2004-08-09  9:46     ` Benjamin Geer
From: Benjamin Geer @ 2004-08-09  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

Jérôme Marant wrote:
>>A slight advantage might be that the XEmacs package collection comes
>>with the O'Caml mode.
>
> Which is very outdated and unmaitained.

I've been very happy with tuareg mode:

http://www-rocq.inria.fr/~acohen/tuareg/

Ben

* RE: [Caml-list] XEmacs or GNU Emacs?
@ 2004-08-09 11:06       ` John Hughes
From: John Hughes @ 2004-08-09 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'caml'

As I've mentioned, we use ML (or variants) in teaching the second half
of
a 3-month introduction to computer science. The first half is in
Scheme
(using DrScheme, which has a nice builtin editor/evaluator, so the
whole
issue of choosing an environment gets simple).

This year we're going to use OCaml. That probably means teaching
them Emacs, but since many of them will work on WinXP platforms
at home (but use Linux while at school),
I'm not thrilled about using XEmacs (at least not in the mode
where it wants to fire up an X server on the windows box, etc.).

So the setup I'm thinking of looks like this:

Ocaml 3.07: compiled from sources under Linux,
            Cygwin port for XP, because we want to use the debugger

GNU Emacs + tuareg for both platforms

ocamldebug on both platforms

Two questions:

* Does this sound reasonable to you experts?

* Does anyone else out there wish that ml mode in Emacs had a "kill
the
current ML process and restart a fresh one, and then evaluate my
buffer in that new, fresh, clean process?"

Our students, when they first
learn about modules, get all screwed up by repeatedly evaluating a
module
description, and then finding that two objects that are apparently of
type Foo cannot be assigned, compared, etc. (Under MOSML and SML/NJ,
this
issue led to some of the most cryptic error messages I've ever
encountered.)

I hacked this up in ML-mode a few years ago, and my students loved it.

If the rest of the world would actually benefit from it, I'll do it
again
in Tuareg mode and pass it back to the maintainers...

---John Hughes

Geer

@ 2004-08-09 14:35         ` John Prevost
From: John Prevost @ 2004-08-09 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:06:04 +0200, John Hughes <jfh@cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> Ocaml 3.07: compiled from sources under Linux,
>             Cygwin port for XP, because we want to use the debugger
>
> GNU Emacs + tuareg for both platforms
>
> ocamldebug on both platforms
>
> Two questions:
>
> * Does this sound reasonable to you experts?
>
> * Does anyone else out there wish that ml mode in Emacs had a "kill
> the current ML process and restart a fresh one, and then evaluate my
> buffer in that new, fresh, clean process?"

That sounds handy--but the handiest recent new feature for teaching
that I've seen is the stuff with -dtypes in the caml-mode that's
distributed with O'Caml 3.08.  You can hit C-c C-t to get the type of
the expression under point, or middle-click in the emacs buffer to
highlight the entire top-level expression in one color, and highlight
the smallest expression under the mouse in another color, while
displaying the type of that smaller expression in the mode-line. (In
other words, you can drag around with the middle button in a single
top-level expression, displaying the type of what you're hovering
over.)

This works even when a file has not compiled cleanly: the compiler
type annotation file includes all of the types it's figured out up
until the spot where it found a conflict.  And that can be a great
help when trying to figure out why a problem happened.

John.

* Re: [Caml-list] XEmacs or GNU Emacs?
@ 2004-08-09 17:42       ` Christopher Dutchyn
From: Christopher Dutchyn @ 2004-08-09 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Geer; +Cc: caml

Now, if tuareg supported OcamlR (revised) syntax, that'd be nice.

Chris D.

--
Christopher Dutchyn
UBC Computer Science

@ 2004-08-09 23:29         ` Christopher A. Watford
From: Christopher A. Watford @ 2004-08-09 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Dutchyn
<cdutchyn@cs.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Now, if tuareg supported OcamlR (revised) syntax, that'd be nice.
>
> Chris D.
>
> --
> Christopher Dutchyn
> UBC Computer Science

If more people would like the Win32 top level to support OCamlR
syntax, please let me know. All I'd require is a way of definatively
knowing if the user wants to send the line to the stream. Once I have
a method I can setup the internal parser to check for the required
condition (basically 'supporting' the new syntax).

--
Christopher A. Watford
christopher.watford@gmail.com