* Problem during Godi bootstrap_stage2 (Windows mingw)
@ 2009-03-19  7:02 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2009-03-19  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I sent the following to the godi list, but as it occurs during the
compilation of OCaml itself, someone might know what is going on here...

I had to reinstall my environment to develop OCaml applications under
Windows (using mingw), and I'm having some problem during
bootstrap_stage2. Here are the last few lines before the problem occurs:

cp ../byterun/meta.c meta.c
gcc -mno-cygwin -I../byterun -DNATIVE_CODE -DTARGET_i386 -DSYS_mingw -
O -mms-bitfields -Wall -Wno-unused -c meta.c
cp ../byterun/dynlink.c dynlink.c
gcc -mno-cygwin -I../byterun -DNATIVE_CODE -DTARGET_i386 -DSYS_mingw -
O -mms-bitfields -Wall -Wno-unused -c dynlink.c
make[8]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrateur/godi/build/godi/godi-
ocaml/work/ocaml/asmrun'
boot/ocamlrun ./ocamlopt -I stdlib  -o ocamlc.opt utils/misc.cmx utils/
tbl.cmx utils/config.cmx utils/clflags.cmx utils/terminfo.cmx utils/
ccomp.cmx utils/warnings.cmx utils/consistbl.cmx parsing/linenum.cmx
parsing/location.cmx parsing/longident.cmx parsing/syntaxerr.cmx
parsing/parser.cmx parsing/lexer.cmx parsing/parse.cmx parsing/
printast.cmx typing/unused_var.cmx typing/ident.cmx typing/path.cmx
typing/primitive.cmx typing/types.cmx typing/btype.cmx typing/
oprint.cmx typing/subst.cmx typing/predef.cmx typing/datarepr.cmx
typing/env.cmx typing/typedtree.cmx typing/ctype.cmx typing/
printtyp.cmx typing/includeclass.cmx typing/mtype.cmx typing/
includecore.cmx typing/includemod.cmx typing/parmatch.cmx typing/
typetexp.cmx typing/stypes.cmx typing/typecore.cmx typing/typedecl.cmx
typing/typeclass.cmx typing/typemod.cmx bytecomp/lambda.cmx bytecomp/
printlambda.cmx bytecomp/typeopt.cmx bytecomp/switch.cmx bytecomp/
matching.cmx bytecomp/translobj.cmxbytecomp/translcore.cmx bytecomp/
translclass.cmx bytecomp/translmod.cmx bytecomp/simplif.cmx bytecomp/
runtimedef.cmx bytecomp/meta.cmx bytecomp/instruct.cmx bytecomp/
bytegen.cmx bytecomp/printinstr.cmx bytecomp/opcodes.cmx bytecomp/
emitcode.cmx bytecomp/bytesections.cmx bytecomp/dll.cmx bytecomp/
symtable.cmx bytecomp/bytelink.cmx bytecomp/bytelibrarian.cmx bytecomp/
bytepackager.cmx driver/pparse.cmx driver/errors.cmx driver/
compile.cmx driver/main_args.cmx driver/main.cmx asmrun/meta.o asmrun/
dynlink.o
'gcc' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne ou externe, un
programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
Error during linking
make[7]: *** [ocamlc.opt] Error 2
make[7]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrateur/godi/build/godi/godi-
ocaml/work/ocaml'
Error: Exec error: File /home/Administrateur/godi/build/godi/godi-
ocaml/./../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk, line 1039: Command returned with non-zero
exit code
Error: Exec error: File /home/Administrateur/godi/build/godi/godi-
ocaml/./../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk, line 1378: Command returned with non-zero
exit code
Error: Command fails with code 1: godi_console
Failure!

It tells me that "gcc" is not recognized, but it's been used till then
to build everything! (And it's not gcc that is called, but ocamlrun...)

I am using a cygwin shell to build this, running under windows, and I
did a
.../bootstrap -prefix /home/Administrateur/godi -w32port mingw
as first bootstrap stage.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks a lot,

Alan Schmitt

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem during Godi bootstrap_stage2 (Windows mingw)
@ 2009-03-19  7:47 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2009-03-19  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: caml-list

Alan Schmitt wrote:
> I had to reinstall my environment to develop OCaml applications under
> Windows (using mingw), and I'm having some problem during
> bootstrap_stage2. Here are the last few lines before the problem occurs:

I think the problem comes from a recent update in Cygwin. Now, gcc is a
(Cygwin) symbolic link to gcc3.exe. Cygwin applications (like bash or
make) are able to follow symlinks, but not native Win32 applications
(like ocamlrun).

A solution is to copy gcc3.exe to gcc.exe in a directory which is put in
front of the PATH. Same for cpp.

Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem during Godi bootstrap_stage2 (Windows mingw)
@ 2009-03-19 14:30   ` Dave Benjamin
From: Dave Benjamin @ 2009-03-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Frisch; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, caml-list

Alain Frisch wrote:
> Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> I had to reinstall my environment to develop OCaml applications under
>> Windows (using mingw), and I'm having some problem during
>> bootstrap_stage2. Here are the last few lines before the problem occurs:
>
> I think the problem comes from a recent update in Cygwin. Now, gcc is a
> (Cygwin) symbolic link to gcc3.exe. Cygwin applications (like bash or
> make) are able to follow symlinks, but not native Win32 applications
> (like ocamlrun).
>
> A solution is to copy gcc3.exe to gcc.exe in a directory which is put in
> front of the PATH. Same for cpp.

I ran into this problem as well. My solution was basically what you
described:

cd /usr/bin
mv gcc.exe gcc.exe.cygwin
cp gcc-3.exe gcc.exe
mv cpp.exe cpp.exe.cygwin
cp cpp-3.exe cpp.exe

The symlinks are due to the "alternatives" system. If you look at
Cygwin's original gcc.exe and cpp.exe, you'll see that they point to
/etc/alternaines/gcc and cpp, which in turn point back to
/usr/bin/gcc-3.exe and cpp-3.exe. The goal is to let you install
multiple versions and use symlinks to set the defaults. Seems like
overkill in this case.

Dave

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem during Godi bootstrap_stage2 (Windows mingw)
@ 2009-03-19 15:52     ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2009-03-19 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about this error with Cygwin towards the end of bootstrap_stage2?

	Thanks, Joel

---

cp ld.conf /usr/local/godi/build/godi/godi-ocaml/work/stage/lib/ocaml/
std-lib/ld
.conf
cp libcamlrun_shared.so /usr/local/godi/build/godi/godi-ocaml/work/
stage/lib/oca
ml/std-lib/libcamlrun_shared.so
cp: cannot stat `libcamlrun_shared.so': No such file or directory
make[9]: *** [install] Error 1
make[9]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/godi/build/godi/godi-ocaml/work/
ocaml/byt
erun'
make[8]: *** [install] Error 2
make[8]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/godi/build/godi/godi-ocaml/work/
ocaml'
Error: Exec error: File /usr/local/godi/build/godi/godi-ocaml/./../../
mk/bsd.pkg
.mk, line 1067: Command returned with non-zero exit code
Error: Exec error: File /usr/local/godi/build/godi/godi-ocaml/./../../
mk/bsd.pkg
.mk, line 1179: Command returned with non-zero exit code
Error: Exec error: File /usr/local/godi/build/godi/godi-ocaml/./../../
mk/bsd.pkg
.mk, line 1456: Command returned with non-zero exit code
Error: Exec error: File /usr/local/godi/build/godi/godi-ocaml/./../../
mk/bsd.pkg
.mk, line 1384: Command returned with non-zero exit code
Error: Command fails with code 1: godi_console
Failure!

---
http://tinyco.de
Mac, Lisp, OCaml

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem during Godi bootstrap_stage2 (Windows mingw)
@ 2009-03-19 16:28   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2009-03-19 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Frisch; +Cc: caml-list