* ocamlfind ocamlopt.opt?
@ 2009-03-17 18:37 Alexy Khrabrov
From: Alexy Khrabrov @ 2009-03-17 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml

[This is supposed to be the shortest question to the list so far;
parts in brackets don't count! :)]

ocamlfind ocamlopt.opt # how? [move away non.opt and ln -s x.opt x ?
prettier? :)]

Cheers,
Alexy

* Re: ocamlfind ocamlopt.opt?
@ 2009-03-17 22:13 ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2009-03-17 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 17-03-2009, Alexy Khrabrov <deliverable@gmail.com> wrote:
> [This is supposed to be the shortest question to the list so far;
> parts in brackets don't count! :)]
>
> ocamlfind ocamlopt.opt # how? [move away non.opt and ln -s x.opt x ?
> prettier? :)]

Of course, there is prettier solution. Use a findlib configuration file.
On debian system, when installing ocaml-native-compilers, you get an
additional file "/usr/share/ocaml-findlib/ocaml-native-compilers.conf"
which auto-set the variable to use the .opt program. Here is its
content:

ocamlc="ocamlc.opt"
ocamlopt="ocamlopt.opt"
ocamldep="ocamldep.opt"
ocamldoc="ocamldoc.opt"

I think you can also directly fix it through /etc/ocamlfind.conf or any
other configuration file installed by ocamlfind.

Regards
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ocamlfind ocamlopt.opt?
@ 2009-03-17 22:53   ` Alexy Khrabrov
From: Alexy Khrabrov @ 2009-03-17 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Le Gall; +Cc: caml-list

On Mar 17, 2009, at 6:13 PM, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> I think you can also directly fix it through /etc/ocamlfind.conf or
> any
> other configuration file installed by ocamlfind.

Duh -- my GODI has etc/findlib.conf doing it, and it shows
destdir="/opt/ocaml/lib/ocaml/site-lib"
path="/opt/ocaml/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib:/opt/ocaml/lib/ocaml/site-lib"
ocamlc="ocamlc.opt"
ocamlopt="ocamlopt.opt"
ocamldep="ocamldep.opt"

BTW -- I've asked this on the Godi list and got nothing.  RTFM-style
subscriber base or nobody using Godi anymore?  I've noticed on the IRC
several top folks not using Godi; and many others happy with Debian
packages.  It would be interesting to see who actually doesn't use
Godi and why.  One thing I noticed is, several packages in Godi are
seriously behind the tarballs.  Then again much more folks are using
findlib than Godi itself.

Another alternative on Mac is MacPorts, and there's quite a few of
OCaml ports.  Are the maintaners here by any chance, can anybody say
what the structure/coordination is?  I don't see why MacPorts can't be
as good or better than Debian, and I'd be glad to join the gang.

Cheers,
Alexy

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ocamlfind ocamlopt.opt?
@ 2009-03-18 12:21     ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2009-03-18 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexy Khrabrov; +Cc: Sylvain Le Gall, caml-list

On 17 Mar 2009, at 22:53, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> Another alternative on Mac is MacPorts, and there's quite a few of
> OCaml ports.  Are the maintaners here by any chance, can anybody say
> what the structure/coordination is?  I don't see why MacPorts can't
> be as good or better than Debian, and I'd be glad to join the gang.

I rather like MacPorts since it's easy to add a local override with
upgrades and so on (e.g. backporting the fix for fork+threads on MacOS
X).  I've got my OCaml macports repo up at:

http://github.com/avsm/darwinports/

with a bunch of fixes and upgrades.  I'll be feeding these upstream
when I get a chance but you can use this repo to grab my latest bits.

-anil

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ocamlfind ocamlopt.opt?
@ 2009-03-18 16:19       ` Alexy Khrabrov
From: Alexy Khrabrov @ 2009-03-18 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anil Madhavapeddy; +Cc: OCaml

On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:21 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> I rather like MacPorts since it's easy to add a local override with
> upgrades and so on (e.g. backporting the fix for fork+threads on
> MacOS X).  I've got my OCaml macports repo up at:
>
> http://github.com/avsm/darwinports/
>
> with a bunch of fixes and upgrades.  I'll be feeding these upstream
> when I get a chance but you can use this repo to grab my latest bits.

Anil -- this is awesome!  This is exactly why source-based beats
packaged -- it takes just a git push origin master to have a new
port.  So what do you do for the rest -- just get them from tarballs
and install with findlib?  I think the set should be self-contained in
dependencies...

Cheers,
Alexy

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ocamlfind ocamlopt.opt?
@ 2009-03-18 16:35         ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2009-03-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexy Khrabrov; +Cc: OCaml

On 18 Mar 2009, at 16:19, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:21 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> I rather like MacPorts since it's easy to add a local override with
>> upgrades and so on (e.g. backporting the fix for fork+threads on
>> MacOS X).  I've got my OCaml macports repo up at:
>>
>> http://github.com/avsm/darwinports/
>>
>> with a bunch of fixes and upgrades.  I'll be feeding these upstream
>> when I get a chance but you can use this repo to grab my latest bits.
>
> Anil -- this is awesome!  This is exactly why source-based beats
> packaged -- it takes just a git push origin master to have a new
> port.  So what do you do for the rest -- just get them from tarballs
> and install with findlib?  I think the set should be self-contained
> in dependencies...

I just knock up a new Portfile when I need anything these days; it
only takes a few minutes and means you never forget which of the
myriad OCaml libraries are dependencies when you try to get the
project up and running on another system.

-anil