* ocaml as editor extension language
@ 2010-01-05  7:24 Joel Reymont
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Joel Reymont @ 2010-01-05  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

You cannot embed OCaml and use it as an editor extension language unless

1) your editor is open source, or

2) you are a member of the consortium and pay 2K EUR/year

Is that correct?

	Thanks, Joel

---
http://wagerlabs.com

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml as editor extension language
@ 2010-01-05  8:32 ` Gabriel Kerneis
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gabriel Kerneis @ 2010-01-05  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:24:42AM +0000, Joel Reymont wrote:
> You cannot embed OCaml and use it as an editor extension language unless
> 1) your editor is open source, or
> 2) you are a member of the consortium and pay 2K EUR/year, or

3) You write your own OCaml compiler/interpreter without looking at the
original source code at all.

Regards,
--
Gabriel

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml as editor extension language
@ 2010-01-05  8:41 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2010-01-05  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont; +Cc: caml-list

On 05/01/2010 08:24, Joel Reymont wrote:
> You cannot embed OCaml and use it as an editor extension language unless
>
> 1) your editor is open source, or
>
> 2) you are a member of the consortium and pay 2K EUR/year
>
> Is that correct?

Depending on the level of integration you need, you might also call an
external OCaml compiler and dynamically load the result in your editor
(with Dynlink).

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml as editor extension language
@ 2010-01-05 10:04 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2010-01-05 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 07:24:42 Joel Reymont wrote:
> You cannot embed OCaml and use it as an editor extension language unless
>
> 1) your editor is open source, or

I believe there are several issues surrounding the QPL license that much of
the OCaml distribution is under:

1. You do not have the right to distribute your source code freely and must
distribute only independently (e.g. patches only).

2. The "initial developer" is given rights to your derivative work.

3. The QPL is not GPL compatible so your derivative work cannot use GPL
libraries.

See:

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Note that OCaml's tools are under the QPL, including ocamllex and ocamlyacc.
So you cannot even use that code to write a syntax highlighter for your
editor without being subject to these requirements.

> 2) you are a member of the consortium and pay 2K EUR/year
>
> Is that correct?

You could always ask nicely if they mind you violating their license. :-)

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml as editor extension language
@ 2010-01-05 11:08   ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2010-01-05 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:04:24AM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> 1. You do not have the right to distribute your source code freely and must
> distribute only independently (e.g. patches only).

Tools like quilt and git-rebase are now so good at handling "base +
patches" that I wouldn't say this is much of an issue these days.

At Red Hat we routinely deal with kernel + 100s of patches on top,
many of which conflict, and freely inserting and removing patches in
the middle of the stack, and rebasing, with few real issues.  (Not in
this case for licensing reasons, but so there's a clear chain of who
wrote what, and what was applied to what).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml as editor extension language
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-05 14:57 ` Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2010-01-05 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list List

On 2010-01-05, at 08:24, Joel Reymont wrote:

> You cannot embed OCaml and use it as an editor extension language
> unless
>
> 1) your editor is open source, or
>
> 2) you are a member of the consortium and pay 2K EUR/year

   3k

-- Damien