* [Caml-list] Has laziness changed type?
@ 2002-09-07 22:24 Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2002-09-07 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

I think I recall Lazy.t being defined in 3.04 as = Value of
... | Exception of ... | Suspension of ...
or something of the sort. Now Lazy.t is defined simply as
lazy_t. But what *is* lazy_t exactly? Can I apply
pattern-matching on it?

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] Has laziness changed type?
@ 2002-09-09 14:23 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-09-09 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

> I think I recall Lazy.t being defined in 3.04 as = Value of
> ... | Exception of ... | Suspension of ...
> or something of the sort. Now Lazy.t is defined simply as
> lazy_t. But what *is* lazy_t exactly?

An abstract type.  You don't want to know :-)  More seriously: in
3.06, the compiler and runtime system represent lazy values more
efficiently; in particular, the "Value of" indirections present in
3.04 are now shortened by the GC whenever possible.  As a consequence,
the representation of lazy values no longer matches that of a Caml datatype.

> Can I apply pattern-matching on it?

No.  The general "contract" of a lazy value is that you should never
have to distinguish whether it's been evaluated already or not.  Just
perform Lazy.force on the lazy value and match on the result.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Has laziness changed type?
@ 2002-09-09 14:59   ` Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2002-09-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: Ocaml

Xavier Leroy wrote:

> An abstract type.  You don't want to know :-)  More seriously: in
> 3.06, the compiler and runtime system represent lazy values more
> efficiently; in particular, the "Value of" indirections present in
> 3.04 are now shortened by the GC whenever possible.  As a consequence,
> the representation of lazy values no longer matches that of a Caml datatype.

Cool!

>>Can I apply pattern-matching on it?
>

> No.  The general "contract" of a lazy value is that you should never
> have to distinguish whether it's been evaluated already or not.  Just
> perform Lazy.force on the lazy value and match on the result.
>
> - Xavier Leroy

This is a pity, in a way, but not really a big problem. I
often need to check whether a given lazy value corresponds
computes a meaningful value or raises an exception. To do
this I had code like the following

let foo = lazy ( bar () )

let _ = try ignore (Lazy.force foo) with _ -> () in
match foo with Value(x) -> ...
Exception(x) -> ...

This is not terribly useful when you have to match against
only one lazy value, but the situation is different when you
have a tuple of lazy values, and need to perform different
actions depending on which subset of them computes a
meaningful value.

I solved my problem by reworking the code. It was not too
much effort after all, but my code lost its former elegance:
match foo, bar, doh with

@ 2002-09-09 15:00     ` John Prevost
From: John Prevost @ 2002-09-09 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Baretta; +Cc: Xavier Leroy, Ocaml

    ab> This is a pity, in a way, but not really a big problem. I
    ab> often need to check whether a given lazy value corresponds
    ab> computes a meaningful value or raises an exception. To do this
    ab> I had code like the following

    ab> This is not terribly useful when you have to match against
    ab> only one lazy value, but the situation is different when you
    ab> have a tuple of lazy values, and need to perform different
    ab> actions depending on which subset of them computes a
    ab> meaningful value.

What's wrong with:

try (* do something with *) (Lazy.force foo) with _ ->
try (* do something with *) (Lazy.force bar) with _ ->
try (* do something with *) (Lazy.force doh) with _ ->
(* fallback code *)

or

let lf x = try Some (Lazy.force x) with _ -> None

match (lf a, lf b, lf c, lf d) with

or even

type 'a result = Value of 'a | Exception of 'a

let lf x = try Value (Lazy.force x) with e -> Exception e

The change to the lazy datatype means you have to do a little extra
effort if you want to maintain this kind of information.  But it's not
really a huge deal.

John.

* Re: [Caml-list] Has laziness changed type? (with a plea to Xavier...)
@ 2002-09-09 15:25       ` Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2002-09-09 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

John Prevost wrote:

>     ab> This is not terribly useful when you have to match against
>     ab> only one lazy value, but the situation is different when you
>     ab> have a tuple of lazy values, and need to perform different
>     ab> actions depending on which subset of them computes a
>     ab> meaningful value.
>
> What's wrong with:
>
> try (* do something with *) (Lazy.force foo) with _ ->
> try (* do something with *) (Lazy.force bar) with _ ->
> try (* do something with *) (Lazy.force doh) with _ ->
> (* fallback code *)

This control structure happens to match perfectly the
example I gave, but it is not as general. What If you want
to to match conditions where two-out-of-three compute a
value? What if the action you take also depends on the
actual exception raised by the third? There are a host of
examples where a patterm matching would be marvellously
clear and concise, that you cannot easily convert to a
number of nested try-with expressions.

> or
>
> let lf x = try Some (Lazy.force x) with _ -> None
>
> match (lf a, lf b, lf c, lf d) with

Yes. This is basically my solution. It adds a little
"background noise" in the tuple expression being matched. No
big deal really.

> or even
>
> type 'a result = Value of 'a | Exception of 'a
>
> let lf x = try Value (Lazy.force x) with e -> Exception e

Ok. This is perfect. It just takes a couple more lines of
code and one extra function application per tuple position.
This is what I meant when I stated I had to rework my code a
little.

> The change to the lazy datatype means you have to do a little extra
> effort if you want to maintain this kind of information.  But it's not
> really a huge deal.
>
> John.

Right, no big deal really. And if it's done for the sake of
efficiency, then welcome Xavier's "purple magic". Might I
just make a plea for the following library function in the
Lazy module?

type 'a forced = Value of 'a | Exception of exn
let eval susp =
  try Value(force susp) with ex -> Exception(ex)

Alex