* How to define submodules
@ 2006-07-21 11:53 Jozef Kosoru
From: Jozef Kosoru @ 2006-07-21 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm trying to split my project files into several directories but I
can't figure out how to do it right.

Let's assume the following directory structure:

	Kernel/Parser/pdf.ml
	main.ml

and let's define the content of above files as:

~~~ Kernel/Parser/pdf.ml ~~~
 let init () = print_string "hello world\n";;

~~~ main.ml ~~~
 Kernel.Parser.Pdf.init ();;

~~~

OK, and then I want to compile it (within a root directory):

	$ ocamlc -c Kernel/Parser/pdf.ml
	$ ocamlc -I . Kernel/Parser/pdf.cmo main.ml -o app

	File "main.ml", line 1, characters 0-22:
	Unbound value Kernel.Parser.Pdf.init

Is this supposed to work somehow?
I know that most ocaml programs use a bit cumbersome approach and they
define long file names to emulate submodules. Eg.

	Kernel/Parser/kernel_Parser_Pdf.ml
	main.ml

~~~ main.ml ~~~
 Kernel_Parser_Pdf.init ();;

~~~

And then:

	$ ocamlc -c Kernel/Parser/kernel_Parser_Pdf.ml
	$ ocamlc -I . -I Kernel/Parser/ \
		Kernel/Parser/kernel_Parser_Pdf.cmo \
		main.ml -o app

but that is rather inelegant.

But ANT project [1] uses this nice syntax. For
instance, there are files:

	Engine/Evaluate.ml
	Main/Main.ml

and Main.ml calls:

	let pages = Engine.Evaluate.evaluate ast ...

is it some kind of language extension? I've noticed ANT uses a revised
OCaml syntax but there is no such a thing mentioned in its documentation
[2].

Thank you for any advice. Regards,
Jozef

[1] http://ant.berlios.de/
[2] http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-camlp4/manual007.html

--
jozef kosoru
http://zyzstar.kosoru.com

* Re: [Caml-list] How to define submodules
@ 2006-07-21 12:01 ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2006-07-21 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozef Kosoru; +Cc: caml-list

Jozef Kosoru writes:
 > OK, and then I want to compile it (within a root directory):
 >
 > 	$ ocamlc -c Kernel/Parser/pdf.ml
 > 	$ ocamlc -I . Kernel/Parser/pdf.cmo main.ml -o app
 >
 > 	File "main.ml", line 1, characters 0-22:
 > 	Unbound value Kernel.Parser.Pdf.init
 >
 > Is this supposed to work somehow?

No.

First, to compile  main.ml you need to pass  "-I Kernel/Parser" to the
compiler, because it needs to find the file pdf.cmi.

Second,  in   main.ml  you  have   to  write  "Pdf.init"   instead  of
"Kernel.Parser.Pdf.init" because the directory structure is not turned
into a module structure in ocaml.

However, you can use the option -pack and -for-pack of the compiler to
pack several  files as submodules of  a new module; see  the manual at
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual025.html

--
Jean-Christophe

* Re: [Caml-list] How to define submodules
@ 2006-07-21 12:42   ` Jozef Kosoru
From: Jozef Kosoru @ 2006-07-21 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Filliatre; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 14:01:26 +0200, Jean-Christophe Filliatre wrote:
> Jozef Kosoru writes:
> > OK, and then I want to compile it (within a root directory):
> >
> > 	$ ocamlc -c Kernel/Parser/pdf.ml
> > 	$ ocamlc -I . Kernel/Parser/pdf.cmo main.ml -o app
> >
> > 	File "main.ml", line 1, characters 0-22:
> > 	Unbound value Kernel.Parser.Pdf.init
> >
> > Is this supposed to work somehow?
>
> No.
>
> First, to compile  main.ml you need to pass  "-I Kernel/Parser" to the
> compiler, because it needs to find the file pdf.cmi.
>
> Second,  in   main.ml  you  have   to  write  "Pdf.init"   instead  of
> "Kernel.Parser.Pdf.init" because the directory structure is not turned
> into a module structure in ocaml.

Yes, that was my second example. That's not exactly what I want.

> However, you can use the option -pack and -for-pack of the compiler to
> pack several  files as submodules of  a new module; see  the manual at
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual025.html

Thank you!
For the above example it's:

  $ ocamlc -for-pack Kernel.Parser -c Kernel/Parser/pdf.ml
  $ ocamlc -pack -o Parser.cmo -for-pack Kernel Kernel/Parser/pdf.cmo
  $ ocamlc -pack -o Kernel.cmo Parser.cmo
  $ ocamlc Kernel.cmo main.ml -o ap

Now the last thing is how to convince my OMakefile to do it
automatically.

Regards,
Jozef

--

@ 2006-07-21 12:48     ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2006-07-21 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozef Kosoru; +Cc: Jean-Christophe Filliatre, caml-list

On 7/21/06, Jozef Kosoru <zyzstar@uid0.sk> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 14:01:26 +0200, Jean-Christophe Filliatre wrote:
> > Jozef Kosoru writes:
> > > OK, and then I want to compile it (within a root directory):
> > >
> > >     $ ocamlc -c Kernel/Parser/pdf.ml
> > >     $ ocamlc -I . Kernel/Parser/pdf.cmo main.ml -o app
> > >
> > >     File "main.ml", line 1, characters 0-22:
> > >     Unbound value Kernel.Parser.Pdf.init
> > >
> > > Is this supposed to work somehow?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > First, to compile  main.ml you need to pass  "-I Kernel/Parser" to the
> > compiler, because it needs to find the file pdf.cmi.
> >
> > Second,  in   main.ml  you  have   to  write  "Pdf.init"   instead  of
> > "Kernel.Parser.Pdf.init" because the directory structure is not turned
> > into a module structure in ocaml.
>
> Yes, that was my second example. That's not exactly what I want.
>
> > However, you can use the option -pack and -for-pack of the compiler to
> > pack several  files as submodules of  a new module; see  the manual at
> > http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual025.html
>
> Thank you!
> For the above example it's:
>
>   $ ocamlc -for-pack Kernel.Parser -c Kernel/Parser/pdf.ml
>   $ ocamlc -pack -o Parser.cmo -for-pack Kernel Kernel/Parser/pdf.cmo
>   $ ocamlc -pack -o Kernel.cmo Parser.cmo
>   $ ocamlc Kernel.cmo main.ml -o ap
>
> Now the last thing is how to convince my OMakefile to do it
> automatically.

You can try YaM (http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/damien.pous/shared/ocaml/YaM/)

It handles directories and subdirectories very well using -pack options.

--
Nicolas Pouillard

* Re: [Caml-list] How to define submodules
@ 2006-07-21 13:32     ` Chris King
From: Chris King @ 2006-07-21 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozef Kosoru; +Cc: caml-list

On 7/21/06, Jozef Kosoru <zyzstar@uid0.sk> wrote:
> Now the last thing is how to convince my OMakefile to do it
> automatically.

The in-development version of OMake (0.9.8) looks like it will contain
an OCamlPackage function... but until then, what I usually do is copy
the definition of OCamlLibrary from /usr/lib/omake/build/OCaml.om into
my project's OMakeroot, rename it, and modify it slightly to act like
OCamlPackage.

- Chris King