* Re: [Caml-list] Crashing X.Org with lablgl
@ 2007-02-26  7:07 David Thomas
From: David Thomas @ 2007-02-26  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

--- Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@math.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
wrote:

> You should at least say which front-end you use for
> lablGL (Tcl/Tk, Glut or LablGTK). This may be
> relevant.

Ah, yes.  I'm using Glut.

> > 1) I'm sure that there *shouldn't* be any sequence
> > of  calls to lablgl that should outright crash the
> > X server... does anyone know how true this proves
> > in practice?
>
> Well, if there is a bug in the X server, a program
> may trigger it.

Yeah, that's my best guess for what's happening
here, too.

> Personally I've never seen that for lablGL though.
> And the reports I've seen were about the program
> itself segfaulting, not the server.

Interesting.

> > 2) Any thoughts as to how I can pinpoint the
> > problem a bit better?
>
> Sending me the complete source to try to reproduce
> the problem?

ftp://tirnanogth.dyndns.org/pub/mrlplot.tar.gz

> You could also look at the features you are using:
> does turning double-buffering off change anything,
> are you using lots of display lists...

An interesting thought.  I'll try shuffling those a
bit, see if it does me any good.

Need Mail bonding?

* Crashing X.Org with lablgl
@ 2007-02-26  5:01 David Thomas
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: David Thomas @ 2007-02-26  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Working on a 3d plotting program in ocaml, using
lablgl.  I got it working on my laptop, which is
running Debian 3.1, with XFree86.  All seemed to run
fine.

Moved it over to another box, it runs fine for about a
minute before the X server segfaults.  Duplicated the
result on three computers at work, all running X.Org
under Debian. Works fine on another computer running
XFree86.

Unfortunately, others on the project (with more clout)
are unwilling to move these systems back to XFree86.
While there *is* a 100% correlation between
X.Org/XFree86 and crashing/not, it's doubtful that
this is the only thing that's different between the
systems.

I guess I've a few questions.

1) I'm sure that there *shouldn't* be any sequence of
calls to lablgl that should outright crash the X
server... does anyone know how true this proves in
practice?

2) Any thoughts as to how I can pinpoint the problem a
bit better?

3) Any suggestions for working around it?  Considering
writing a simple library implementing the parts of
lablgl that I need (which is relatively limited, as
it's ultimately line-drawing), but that's not
thrilling...

Would definately prefer not to have to ditch ocaml on
this one, so any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time