* [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
@ 2010-03-01 13:07 Marco Maggi
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Marco Maggi @ 2010-03-01 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Ciao,

  I am a  True Beginner taking a look at  O'Caml; I hope not
to  be abusing  by posting  here rather  than  the beginners
list.

  I  think  I   successfully  compiled  ocaml-3.11.2  on  my
i686-pc-linux-gnu, but  there seems to be no  way to install
the package in  a temporary location via the  Linux de facto
standard DESTDIR environment variable;  is there a way to do
it?  (I am used to build custom packages.)

  The  web site[1]  is beautiful  (no  irony) but  a lot  of
informations look outdated, 4/5 years old; I see many O'Caml
related sites on  the Net.  Is there one that  I can take as
reference  for  the latest  news,  for  example about  still
maintained library packages?

TIA

[1] <http://caml.inria.fr/>
--
Marco Maggi

* Re: [Caml-list] [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
@ 2010-03-01 13:12 ` Mihamina Rakotomandimby
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2010-03-01 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Marco Maggi <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> :
> I am a  True Beginner taking a look at  O'Caml; I hope not
> to  be abusing  by posting  here rather  than  the beginners
> list.

You are a beginner (you told), you know there is a beginner list, and
you apoligize for not using it.

>  I  think  I   successfully  compiled  ocaml-3.11.2  on  my
> i686-pc-linux-gnu,

what about installing from your system package management first?
Are you using Debian or Ubuntu?
"apt-get install ocaml" and you're done.

Are you using Fedora?
"yum install ocaml" and you're done.

                +261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

* RE: [Caml-list] [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
@ 2010-03-01 13:13 ` David Allsopp
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Allsopp @ 2010-03-01 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Marco Maggi', caml-list

Marco Maggi wrote:
> Ciao,
>
>   I am a  True Beginner taking a look at  O'Caml; I hope not to  be
> abusing  by posting  here rather  than  the beginners list.

Building OCaml from source is definitely not a beginners' question! :o)

>   I  think  I   successfully  compiled  ocaml-3.11.2  on  my
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, but  there seems to be no  way to install the package
> in  a temporary location via the  Linux de facto standard DESTDIR
> environment variable;  is there a way to do it?  (I am used to build
> custom packages.)

I've not come across that way before (by which I mean "you learn a new thing
every day"!), the more usual way, which will work with OCaml, is to specify
a different root for the -prefix option when you run configure. make install
will then install OCaml there. I used to use that when compiling uses OCaml
on a machine for which I didn't have root and I used it just the other day
to compile OCaml 3.12.0 on Maemo so the switch definitely works.

All that said, what distro are you using? Debian and Fedora (and *BSD) all
have native packages for OCaml.

>   The  web site[1]  is beautiful  (no  irony) but  a lot  of
> informations look outdated, 4/5 years old; I see many O'Caml related
> sites on  the Net.  Is there one that  I can take as reference  for  the
> latest  news,  for  example about  still maintained library packages?

The Caml Hump I believe has up-to-date information as long as it's
submitted. I'm quite lazy and tend only to look for updates to libraries I
use when either I hit a bug or am installing on a new machine ...
www.ocamlcore.org is a pretty good place to start, I think.

David

* Re: [Caml-list] [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
@ 2010-03-01 13:28 ` Mark Shinwell
From: Mark Shinwell @ 2010-03-01 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Maggi; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 02:07:45PM +0100, Marco Maggi wrote:
>   I  think  I   successfully  compiled  ocaml-3.11.2  on  my
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, but  there seems to be no  way to install
> the package in  a temporary location via the  Linux de facto
> standard DESTDIR environment variable;  is there a way to do
> it?  (I am used to build custom packages.)

If I understand correctly, in autoconf-style setups, the contents of
the DESTDIR variable are prepended to the configured prefix to obtain the
paths used for installation.  Thus you might install to /tmp/usr/bin/ocamlopt
even though the compiler is configured for /usr.

Unfortunately I don't believe the Caml build system supports such a feature.
One possible way of doing it might be to run "make install" inside a chroot,
but you would likely need a lot of additional tools present inside the chroot
for that to work.

As another poster has said, it's probably best to use the distribution
packages if possible, or else just directly write into the installation
location (using ./configure -prefix /path/to/install/dir).

Mark

* Re: [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-03-01 13:36 ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2010-03-01 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On 01-03-2010, Marco Maggi <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> wrote:
> Ciao,
>
>   I am a  True Beginner taking a look at  O'Caml; I hope not
> to  be abusing  by posting  here rather  than  the beginners
> list.
>
>   I  think  I   successfully  compiled  ocaml-3.11.2  on  my
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, but  there seems to be no  way to install
> the package in  a temporary location via the  Linux de facto
> standard DESTDIR environment variable;  is there a way to do
> it?  (I am used to build custom packages.)

If you are really a beginner, I will really recommend to you using your
distribution OCaml packages, no matter if its ocaml 3.10.2 or 3.11.2.

Debian and Fedora provide packages (apt-get install ocaml on Debian).

>   The  web site[1]  is beautiful  (no  irony) but  a lot  of
> informations look outdated, 4/5 years old; I see many O'Caml
> related sites on  the Net.  Is there one that  I can take as
> reference  for  the latest  news,  for  example about  still
> maintained library packages?
>
> [1] <http://caml.inria.fr/>

caml.inria.fr and the Hump is a pretty good place to start:
http://caml.inria.fr/cgi-bin/hump.fr.cgi

The site available here are also good points to start with:
http://caml.inria.fr/resources/index.fr.html
and especially
http://www.ocaml-tutorial.org/

Then you have ocamlcore.org related websites:
- http://www.ocamlcore.org: entry point of ocamlcore.org
- http://planet.ocamlcore.org: for the latest (general) news of the
  OCaml community
- http://forge.ocamlcore.org: participate to various OCaml projects
  or create your own

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-03-01 14:44 ` Peng Zang
From: Peng Zang @ 2010-03-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Maggi; +Cc: caml-list

* Re: [Caml-list] [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
@ 2010-03-01 19:32   ` Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2010-03-01 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Allsopp; +Cc: caml-list

"David Allsopp" wrote:
> the  more usual  way, which  will work  with OCaml,  is to
> specify a  different root for the -prefix  option when you
> run configure.

Yes.  It worked (it seems) by doing:

$ ./configure -prefix "${prefix}" ...
$ make world
$ make bootstrap
$ make opt
$ ./configure -prefix "${DESTDIR}${prefix}"
$ make install

> All  that said,  what  distro are  you  using? Debian  and
> Fedora (and *BSD) all have native packages for OCaml.

Slackware.

> The Caml Hump I believe has up-to-date information as long
> as  it's submitted.  [...] www.ocamlcore.org  is  a pretty
> good place to start, I think.

Understood (IMHO submissions more than 3 years old should be
removed).  So am I correct  in saying that MLGMP is orphaned
and no maintained GMP/MPFR/... package exists?
--

@ 2010-03-01 19:37     ` Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2010-03-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Maggi; +Cc: David Allsopp, caml-list

"Marco Maggi" wrote:
> So am  I correct in saying  that MLGMP is  orphaned and no
> maintained GMP/MPFR/... package exists?

Wait!  Found something here:

<https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/lucid/mlgmp/lucid>
--
Marco Maggi

* Re: [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
@ 2010-03-01 21:31       ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2010-03-01 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 01-03-2010, Marco Maggi <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> wrote:
> "Marco Maggi" wrote:
>> So am  I correct in saying  that MLGMP is  orphaned and no
>> maintained GMP/MPFR/... package exists?
>
> Wait!  Found something here:
>
><https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/lucid/mlgmp/lucid>

This is just Debian/Ubuntu people working on the packaging (not the
library). But even if there has been no release for a while, it doesn't
mean that it is orphaned or unmaintained...

Try it to see if it is working.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] [newbie] miscellaneous on installation and web site
@ 2010-03-02  6:04   ` Mihamina Rakotomandimby
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2010-03-02  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Peng Zang <peng.zang@gmail.com> :
> The best way to compile and install OCaml (in my opinion) is via GODI.

Why?
How to install GODI?

@ 2010-03-02 14:02     ` Ashish Agarwal
From: Ashish Agarwal @ 2010-03-02 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)