* [Caml-list] Using OcamlMakefile on Debian Woody
@ 2001-10-28 10:43 Johann Spies
From: Johann Spies @ 2001-10-28 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocaml

I am trying out OcamlMakefile and did not have any sucess at all so
far - even with the examples.

My system is Debian Woody with Ocaml 3.02. The following illustrates
my problem:

$locate OcamlMakefile
/usr/share/ocaml-tools/OcamlMakefile

$cat Makefile
OCAMLMAKEFILE = /usr/share/ocaml-tools/OcamlMakefile
SOURCES=paaiement3.ml
RESULT=paaiement3
#all: native-code
-include OCAMLMAKEFILE

$make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

$ocamlopt paaiement3.ml -o paaiement3
$
And with one of the examples:

$cd /usr/share/doc/ocaml-tools/examples.ocamlmake/calc
$make
camlidl -header  \
			 test.idl
make: camlidl: Command not found
make: *** [test.mli] Error 127

Is there a bug in the installation or do I not understand the
instructions for the use of OcamlMakefile?

Regards

Johann Spies
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 021-982 2694 / 082 782 0336 / 021-808 4036(w)
             Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536

* Re: [Caml-list] Using OcamlMakefile on Debian Woody
@ 2001-10-28 11:44 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2001-10-28 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Spies; +Cc: ocaml

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Johann Spies wrote:
> $cat Makefile
> OCAMLMAKEFILE = /usr/share/ocaml-tools/OcamlMakefile
> SOURCES=paaiement3.ml
> RESULT=paaiement3
> #all: native-code
> -include OCAMLMAKEFILE

The last line should be:

  -include $(OCAMLMAKEFILE)

> And with one of the examples:
>
> $cd /usr/share/doc/ocaml-tools/examples.ocamlmake/calc
> $make
> camlidl -header  \
> 			 test.idl
> make: camlidl: Command not found
> make: *** [test.mli] Error 127

You need to install camlidl if you want to be able to compile examples
that use it. You can obtain it from here:

  http://caml.inria.fr/camlidl/

It might be a good idea to integrate camlidl, too, into the next
OCaml-distribution.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] Using OcamlMakefile on Debian Woody
@ 2001-10-28 12:19 ` Marco Maggesi
From: Marco Maggesi @ 2001-10-28 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Spies; +Cc: ocaml

Johann Spies <jhspies@adept.co.za> writes:

> $cat Makefile
> OCAMLMAKEFILE = /usr/share/ocaml-tools/OcamlMakefile
> SOURCES=paaiement3.ml
> RESULT=paaiement3
> #all: native-code
> -include OCAMLMAKEFILE

Replace the last line with

  -include $(OCAMLMAKEFILE)

> make: camlidl: Command not found
> make: *** [test.mli] Error 127

I think camlidl it is not in the standard OCaml distribution.
Probably you have to install it.  See: http://caml.inria.fr/camlidl/

  -- Marco