From: Steve Elkins <sgelkins@bellsouth.net>
To: OCaml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: [Caml-list] toplevel with threads
Date: 13 Apr 2002 06:35:45 -0400	[thread overview]

Will someone please explain what I'm doing wrong, or tell me my build
is broken, or enlighten me somehow.  I'm having trouble using threads
in toplevels, but not when I compile to bytecode.

  sge:346$ ocamlmktop -custom -o strocaml str.cma
  sge:347$ ./strocaml
          Objective Caml version 3.04

  # Str.regexp;;
  - : string -> Str.regexp = <fun>
  # ^D
  sge:348$ ocamlmktop -thread -custom -o throcaml threads.cma
  Error while linking /usr/local/lib/ocaml/threads/threads.cma(ThreadUnix):
  Reference to undefined global `Unix'
  sge:349$ ocamlmktop -thread -custom -o throcaml unix.cma threads.cma
  sge:350$ ./throcaml
          Objective Caml version 3.04

  # Thread.create;;
  Unbound value Thread.create
  # ^D
  sge:351$

However...

  sge:351$ cat chap19.ml
  (* from p. 602 of the English translation of the O'Reilly book *)

  let f_proc1 () =
    for i = 0 to 10 do
      Printf.printf "(%d)" i;
      flush stdout
    done;
    print_newline() ;;

  let t1 = Thread.create f_proc1 () ;;

  Thread.join t1 ;;
  sge:352$ ocamlc -thread threads.cma chap19.ml
  sge:353$ ./a.out
  (0)(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)(9)(10)
  sge:354$

I followed the instructions in the manual to build my Str toplevel,
but there are none at the beginning of the threads library section.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Steve