* Okasaki's  $-Notation
@ 2005-09-13 14:10 Arne Koewing
From: Arne Koewing @ 2005-09-13 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Hi everyone,

has somebody already tried to implement
Okasaki's $-Notation for lazy values in ML
in camlp4 ?

I'm stuck, implementing his pattern matching extension,
(I'm completely new to camlp4...)

Arne

* Re: [Caml-list] Okasaki's  $-Notation
@ 2005-09-13 14:15 ` Brian Hurt
From: Brian Hurt @ 2005-09-13 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Koewing; +Cc: OCaml List

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Arne Koewing wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> has somebody already tried to implement
> Okasaki's $-Notation for lazy values in ML
> in camlp4 ?
>
> I'm stuck, implementing his pattern matching extension,
> (I'm completely new to camlp4...)

A) No I haven't, so judge the following comments with this in mind

B) One of the reasons I don't like Okasaki's $ notation is that it
represents both suspending the computation and forcing the computation.  I
often times have trouble figuring out which meaning is meant with any
given use.  Which I'm wondering might not be your problem- if I have a
hard time figuring it out, how hard is it going to be for the computer to
figure it out?

Brian

* Re: [Caml-list] Okasaki's  $-Notation
@ 2005-09-13 14:44   ` Arne Koewing
From: Arne Koewing @ 2005-09-13 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Brian Hurt <bhurt@spnz.org> writes:

> B) One of the reasons I don't like Okasaki's $ notation is that it
> represents both suspending the computation and forcing the computation.  I
> often times have trouble figuring out which meaning is meant with any
> given use.  Which I'm wondering might not be your problem- if I have a
> hard time figuring it out, how hard is it going to be for the computer to
> figure it out?

Well, that's true.
I like that his suspending operation does not need parenthesis, but
that's no major advantage over ocaml's "lazy".

But support for pattern-matching of lazy values seems to be valuable...