From: David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
To: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Persistent storage and stability of Marshal?
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:00:43 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

> Have a look at SQLite.  I like it a lot.  During the past couple of
> months, even a few Ocaml bindings have sprung into existence.

Yes, I looked at it through Dbi[1]. There is however an issue: it seems
that everything is stored as a string in an SQLite base. Returned data
after Dbi query are typed as string.

It might be an issue with Dbi itself (I haven't looked to the SQLite
binding themselves) but after looking at SQLite documentation, it does
not seem to be the case[2].

I could work around this small issue by easily converting strings to
integer, float, etc. but it seems a bit awkward to me. Beside that,
you are right the SQLite is quite interesting: full SQL database but
without the need to setup an SQL server.

Best wishes,
david

Footnotes:
[1]  http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/modcaml/

[2]  http://www.sqlite.org/datatypes.html
     ""
      SQLite is "typeless". This means that you can store any kind of
      data you want in any column of any table, regardless of the
      declared datatype of that column.
     ""
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A