* [Caml-list] Ocaml efficiency
@ 2002-04-20 10:03 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-04-20 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

  Some people are sometimes writing or thinking about writing
  applications in OCaml without knowing it OCaml is suitable
  for the kind of applications they're writing.

  So my question is for what kind of applications isn't OCaml
  suitable for and better written in a lower lever language?

  What is the real cost (in CPU) of interfaces to C libraries
  since some processing have to be performed in order to convert
  lower level types to Caml types?

  Thanks.

  Regards,

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* [Caml-list] Ocaml efficiency
@ 2003-02-17 18:03 Vincent Barichard
From: Vincent Barichard @ 2003-02-17 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CAML-LIST

Hi,

I've made a caml algorithm for solving some combinatorial problems.
I've made a little user interface with camltk in order to launch many
times the solving procedure.

I ran it, and I clicked on the start button one time, the computing
time was about 30s. When I clicked a second time, the computing time
exceeded 60s !!

The programm doesn't store in any data structure the results of the run,
and all the variables values remain the same as before the run.
The outputs of the two runs are identical, just the running time is
different.

I guessed that it was a problem about memory management, garbage
collector, so I tried Gc.full_major and Gc.compact, but it didn't work.

Is anyone has any ideas or suggestions to help me ?

Thanks,

Vincent

Vincent Barichard
Métaheuristiques et Optimisation Combinatoire
Faculté des Sciences d'Angers
Tel : 02 41 73 52 06