* [Caml-list] using infix operators/functions in modules when not using "open"
@ 2012-04-26 22:36 ocamllist.robertwork
From: ocamllist.robertwork @ 2012-04-26 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm a OCaml newbie.  I don't understand how to use infix functions that are
in modules when I don't want to use "open".

I did discover http://xahlee.org/ocaml/functions.html which explains that
an infix operator can be used as a prefix.  So, this format:

  ((Module.(op)) "foo" "bar")

does seem to work.  But, intuitively, it seems like:

 "foo" Module.(op) "bar"

would work -- it doesn't.

Is there a way to keep the infix notation?

Thanks.

* Re: [Caml-list] using infix operators/functions in modules when not using "open"
@ 2012-04-26 23:01 ` Haoyang Wang
From: Haoyang Wang @ 2012-04-26 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Apr 26, 2012, at 3:36 PM, ocamllist.robertwork@spamgourmet.com wrote:

> I'm a OCaml newbie.  I don't understand how to use infix functions that are in modules when I don't want to use "open".
>
> I did discover http://xahlee.org/ocaml/functions.html which explains that an infix operator can be used as a prefix.  So, this format:
>
>   ((Module.(op)) "foo" "bar")
>
> does seem to work.  But, intuitively, it seems like:
>
>  "foo" Module.(op) "bar"
>
> would work -- it doesn't.
>
> Is there a way to keep the infix notation?
>
> Thanks.

Module.("foo" (op) "bar")

* Re: [Caml-list] using infix operators/functions in modules when not using "open"
@ 2012-04-27  0:28   ` Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2012-04-27  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haoyang Wang; +Cc: caml-list

Haoyang Wang provided the answer you're looking for, I think!

In case you are writing your own modules with infix operators, I've found
the following style to be useful:

--- Inside Vector.ml ---
(* definition of some basic functions here... *)
(* now some infix defs using the basic functions, in "Ops" submodule *)
module Ops = struct
  let ( +| ) u v = add u v
  let ( -| ) u v = sub u v
  let ( *| ) a v = scale a v
end
open Ops (* so that they are usable within Vector itself *)
---

--- Some other module without opening all of Vector ---
open Vector.Ops

let answer = a +| b
let same_answer = Vector.add a b
---

In some cases I'll also expose types in a Type submodule. This is to
minimize name-collision with record fields, but have direct access to the
fields in situations which it's appropriate (by doing "open Vector.Type",
for example).

Hope that's of some use!

 -Tony

@ 2012-04-27  6:57   ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2012-04-27  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haoyang Wang; +Cc: caml-list

> Module.("foo" (op) "bar")

This is a local open (a more explicit notation is "let open Module in
foo op bar"). I think this is a fine solution: I don't like open, but
local mitigates its flaws.

Another solution is to rebind your operator locally:

  let (op) = Module.blah in
  "foo" op "bar"

(of course Module.blah doesn't need to be an infix itself)

If you are going to use an infix operator in a wide scope, I think
that such a rebinding solution is nice because it's more explicit,
which is good when it helps users understand the code.

@ 2012-04-27  8:30     ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2012-04-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Haoyang Wang, caml-list

Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com> writes:

>> Module.("foo" (op) "bar")
>
> This is a local open (a more explicit notation is "let open Module in
> foo op bar"). I think this is a fine solution: I don't like open, but
> local mitigates its flaws.
>
> Another solution is to rebind your operator locally:
>
>   let (op) = Module.blah in
>   "foo" op "bar"
>
> (of course Module.blah doesn't need to be an infix itself)
>
> If you are going to use an infix operator in a wide scope, I think
> that such a rebinding solution is nice because it's more explicit,
> which is good when it helps users understand the code.

And that also works more globally as in

let (op) = Module.blah

let foo x y = x (op) y

MfG