Jon Harrop writes: > On Monday 04 April 2005 06:44, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote: >> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:42:03 +1000 (EST) >> > isn't that nice?!? >> >> Yes. > > Not if it isn't statically checked. > I take issue with this statement, not because of some personal vendetta, but because it dismisses some very useful tools. When I am developing software, I often find that at the beginning, static typing is a burden that I would rather not be bothered with for the simple reason that I don't know what types are to be used. Later in development, once I know more about my problem space, I will migrate to using some language that uses a static (preferably strong) type system. Saying some programming tool isn't nice because it isn't "statically checked" is short-sighted and I'd rather not see a novice come away with the impression that if a language/tool is not statically checked, it's somehow inferior. -- Geoff Wozniak