* [Caml-list] Newbie question about type (and syntax?)
@ 2001-06-25 19:51 Johann Spies
       [not found] ` <0106252250210K.00523@ice>
From: Johann Spies @ 2001-06-25 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am working through a tutorial and typing in the following example
produced an error:

-------------------------------
let rec power i x =
        if i = 0 then
                1
        else
        x *. (power (i-1) x);;
This expression has type float but is here used with type int

I can not see why it is an error and how to correct the code coming
from the tutorial.

Can somebody help me please?
Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336.  Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536
     "Honour thy father and mother; which is the first

* Re: [Caml-list] Newbie question about type (and syntax?)
@ 2001-06-25 20:26 ` Remi VANICAT
       [not found] ` <0106252250210K.00523@ice>
From: Remi VANICAT @ 2001-06-25 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Johann Spies <jhspies@adept.co.za> writes:

> I am working through a tutorial and typing in the following example
> produced an error:
>
> -------------------------------
> let rec power i x =
>         if i = 0 then
>                 1
>         else
>         x *. (power (i-1) x);;
> This expression has type float but is here used with type int
>
> I can not see why it is an error and how to correct the code coming
> from the tutorial.

1 is an int. it's the problem, you should use 1. (after the then)

--
Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr

@ 2001-06-27 19:19   ` Johann Spies
From: Johann Spies @ 2001-06-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerd; +Cc: caml-list

Many thanks to everyone answering my newbie question.  It seems that
the people on this list are a friendly bunch.

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336.  Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536
     "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it