* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ledit and the ocaml wrapper ...
@ 2001-08-21 10:33 Johann Spies
       [not found] ` <20010821144839.D11013@verdot.inria.fr>
From: Johann Spies @ 2001-08-21 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Markus Mottl <markus@mail4.ai.univie.ac.at> writes:

> If for some reason you can't get ledit to work, you might want to try
> "ile" (Input Line Editor) instead:
>
>   http://www.ai.univie.ac.at/~markus/ocaml_sources/ile-2.7.tar.gz

Thanks.  It works without a problem using "ile ocaml".

Daniel de Rauglaudre <daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr> wrote:

> Which ocaml? Did you make some alias for ocaml? Or some shell script
> calling the right ocaml command?

The ocaml toplevel.
-----------------------
$ ocaml
        Objective Caml version 3.01

#
-----------------------------

Regards

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a
      shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the
      trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first;
      Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught
      up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord
      in the air; and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
                          I Thessalonians 4:16,17

@ 2001-08-22  7:15   ` Johann Spies
From: Johann Spies @ 2001-08-22  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel de Rauglaudre <daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr> writes:

> This does not proove me that your ocaml command is not an alias or a
> specific shell script indirectly calling ocaml. Do you have the same
> problem with other interactive commands? (e.g. ledit dc)

ledit works with rpncalc and it does not produce an error with python
although the behaviour with python is a bit abnormal.

Regards.

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord
      so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall
      say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh
      upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and
      they shall not escape."      I Thessalonians 5:2,3

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ledit and the ocaml wrapper ...
@ 2001-08-22  7:32         ` Johann Spies
From: Johann Spies @ 2001-08-22  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 10:52:17AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> Anyway, ocaml was in ledit 1.10-1 a wrapper around the true ocaml,
> typing ledit ocaml.real would have fixed your problem. But then i
> will now remove the wrapper, and this should no more be a problem.

Thanks Sven. Now I can use it.

Regards

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord
      so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall
      say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh
      upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and
      they shall not escape."      I Thessalonians 5:2,3

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ledit and the ocaml wrapper ...
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-22  6:46       ` Sven
From: Sven @ 2001-08-22  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 10:52:17AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> John Max Skaller <skaller@maxtal.com.au> writes:
>
> > > Sven> But i would like to have your opinion on that. Which ones of you
> > > Sven> use ledit, and if you sue, how do you invoke it ?
> >
> > 	I use ledit when I remember, invoked from the command line:
> >
> > 	ledit ocaml
>
> I don't know whether I missed the solution to the question about
> invoking ledit in this thread but this is what I get both on xterm and
> the console:
>
> -------------------
> $ ledit ocaml
> Error: standard input is not a terminal

Sorry, i was not able to upload a fixed version of the package these days,
will do today.

Anyway, ocaml was in ledit 1.10-1 a wrapper around the true ocaml, typing
ledit ocaml.real would have fixed your problem. But then i will now remove the
wrapper, and this should no more be a problem.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ledit and the ocaml wrapper ...
@ 2001-08-21 23:15       ` John Max Skaller
From: John Max Skaller @ 2001-08-21 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johann Spies wrote:

> I don't know whether I missed the solution to the question about
> invoking ledit in this thread but this is what I get both on xterm and
> the console:
>
> -------------------
> $ ledit ocaml
> Error: standard input is not a terminal
> -------------------

	Hmm: works for me on both a GNOME terminal,
and also a spawned xterm. (Linux running Enlightenment as the WM).
Try

	tty
	stty -a

to see what device is being used? (stty -a mightn't work on SunOS).

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
New generation programming language Felix  http://felix.sourceforge.net

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ledit and the ocaml wrapper ...
@ 2001-08-21  9:24       ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2001-08-21  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Johann Spies wrote:
> I don't know whether I missed the solution to the question about
> invoking ledit in this thread but this is what I get both on xterm and
> the console:
[snip]
> Any other solution?

If for some reason you can't get ledit to work, you might want to try
"ile" (Input Line Editor) instead:

  http://www.ai.univie.ac.at/~markus/ocaml_sources/ile-2.7.tar.gz

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ledit and the ocaml wrapper ...
@ 2001-08-21  9:04       ` Daniel de Rauglaudre
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel de Rauglaudre @ 2001-08-21  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 10:52:17AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> -------------------
> $ ledit ocaml
> Error: standard input is not a terminal
> -------------------

Which ocaml? Did you make some alias for ocaml? Or some shell script calling
the right ocaml command?

--
Daniel de RAUGLAUDRE
daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr
http://cristal.inria.fr/~ddr/

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: ledit and the ocaml wrapper ...
@ 2001-08-21  8:52     ` Johann Spies
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Johann Spies @ 2001-08-21  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-08-18 22:50   ` John Max Skaller
From: John Max Skaller @ 2001-08-18 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: OCAML

> Sven> But i would like to have your opinion on that. Which ones of you
> Sven> use ledit, and if you sue, how do you invoke it ?

	I use ledit when I remember, invoked from the command line:

	ledit ocaml

I still forget often though, because I only use the top level
for checking out how Ocaml deals with cases which I
don't understand: eg.I played a bit recently trying to
figure out how polymorphic variants worked.

Since I can't type very well ( in both senses :-),
I usually quit 'ocaml' when I forget ledit, and start
again using it. Before I had ledit, I avoided using
'ocaml' tool almost completely.

--

       [not found] <20010816114410.A1670@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
@ 2001-08-17  6:49 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2001-08-17  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCAML

Sven> But i would like to have your opinion on that. Which ones of you
Sven> use ledit, and if you sue, how do you invoke it ?

I don't.  If line editing is important, I use the Emacs inferior-caml
mode.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
EngSoc adopts market economy: cheap is wasteful, efficient is expensive.