From: Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com>
To: Peter Zotov <whitequark@whitequark.org>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ppx_protobuf
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 18:46:49 +0000	[thread overview]

The idea I mean is more to do this at the module level than the type
level, like a functor.  So rather than defining protobuf for a type
definition, define it for a module, and have some convention for how to
pick out setter/getter functions.  Then create a new module from that.

For example of the top of my head:

module Foo = sig
   type t
   val set_x : t -> int -> t
   val get_x : t -> int
end

Then I can do:

module Foo_protobuf = Protobuf.Make(Foo)

In this case I stole how most people to functors to make it clear the
translation is actually module to module.

The reason I prefer this is because I can also do:

module Foo_xml = Xml.Make(Foo)
module Foo_json = Json.Make(Foo)

By separating the mechanism for creating the decoders from the type
definition, I can add decoders for any type I want without disturbing
the original definition.  This feels more right to me.  But I have no
idea how to do it.