* [Caml-list] OCaml 4.02.1 is coming soon
       [not found] <CAPFanBGFts+56d6riBGK+Cj5JhjEpUiabfSUF3MXUQ+8jVdHdQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-09-23 10:02 ` Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2014-09-23 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear OCaml users,

The rather large amount of changes in the newly released 4.02 inevitably caused some issues in the very first minor release. We shall have a 4.02.1 bugfix release coming soon, hopefully in early October.

Among the few issues that have now been fixed, there are a few regressions in the new, type-safe format implementation (Printf/Scanf/Format) -- for advanced formatting features.

There was also a regression in the *compilation time* of the distributed OCaml compiler, which is sensibly slower than 4.01 on multi-module programs. This is already fixed in the development version of the compiler and will be part of the bugfix release.

Any additional testing to find and report other regressions is more than welcome. If you have not yet tested your programs with 4.02, now is the time to give it a try!

-- Damien

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 4.02.1 is coming soon
@ 2014-09-23 16:08   ` av1474
From: av1474 @ 2014-09-23 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez; +Cc: caml users

Damien Doligez <damien.doligez@inria.fr> writes:

> Dear OCaml users,
>
> The rather large amount of changes in the newly released 4.02
> inevitably caused some issues in the very first minor release. We
> shall have a 4.02.1 bugfix release coming soon, hopefully in early
> October.
>
> Among the few issues that have now been fixed, there are a few
> regressions in the new, type-safe format implementation
> (Printf/Scanf/Format) -- for advanced formatting features.
>
> There was also a regression in the *compilation time* of the
> distributed OCaml compiler, which is sensibly slower than 4.01 on
> multi-module programs. This is already fixed in the development
> version of the compiler and will be part of the bugfix release.

Compilation of [1] skyrocketed (at least here on rather oldish PPC
machine), hopfully things would be a bit better in 4.02.1.

[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/llpp.git/blob/53f1bca0140d03d9f2e1437a4ad0dbc3f7e85ce0:/main.ml
--
mailto:av1474@comtv.ru

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 4.02.1 is coming soon
@ 2014-09-25  3:50     ` Nick Lucaroni
From: Nick Lucaroni @ 2014-09-25  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: av1474, caml-list; +Cc: Damien Doligez

Are the formatting issues resolved in the 4.02.0+turnk switch in OPAM
(that's, dev0-2014-08-29)? I'm getting segmentation faults from fprintf in
my application even in that branch (see below). I'll work to pin it down as
it very well could be a miss-formatted string on my part, but obviously we
shouldn't seg-fault. let me know if I should hold off.

thanks,
nick

Time: 48706621 - pc: 98976 - module CamlinternalFormat
1375 fun k o acc fmt -> <|b|>match fmt with

@ 2014-09-25  3:58       ` Nick Lucaroni
From: Nick Lucaroni @ 2014-09-25  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: av1474, caml-list; +Cc: Damien Doligez

I forgot we had been using some magic to convert strings. that's the price
we pay.

nick

@ 2014-09-25  5:11         ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2014-09-25  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)