* [Caml-list] Question about string ref and Hashtbl.
@ 2004-03-19 22:03 Bob Bailey
From: Bob Bailey @ 2004-03-19 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Sorry for the last mistake... sent by accident.

I have created the following structure

type t =
  {
   mutable last:int;
   names: (string,int) Hashtbl.t;
   indexes:(int,string ref) Hashtbl.t;
  }

I am trying to only store the string once in memory.  This will allow me to store the
index of the string in the dictionary instead of copying the string all over
memory.

The add function is
let add dict str =
  try
   Hashtbl.find dict.names str
  with Not_found ->
    (
      Hashtbl.add dict.names str dict.last;
      Hashtbl.add dict.indexes dict.last (ref str);
      dict.last <- dict.last +1;
      dict.last - 1
    )

So with this code can I expect the correct behavior.

BTW, I have used ocamldebug to try to examine the addresses of the strings to see if the reference
points to the same string in the hashtbl key.
Also, I know that I can specialize the t.indexes with an IntHashtbl.  I have actually done that
but to simplify the example I have left it out.

Any advice would be appreciated.
bob