* [Caml-list] [ANN] opass 1.0.0
@ 2014-02-13 21:12 Malcolm Matalka
From: Malcolm Matalka @ 2014-02-13 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

opass 1.0.0 has been released.  You can get it by updating your opam
repository and doing:

opam install opass

It will install a binary called 'opass'.  You can simply run 'opass' to
see the help screens.

- What is it?

opass is a simple CLI tool for securely storing and managing passwords
and free form data.  It can also be used to generate passwords.  It
assumes the environment you run opass in is secure, but the file can be
safely stored in insecure places.

- How's it work?

It uses gpg to read and write data to a file.  It does all manipulation
in memory and pipes data in and out of gpg.

- What is new in 1.0.0?

There is one backwards breaking change: during a 'search' passwords are
no longer displayed by default.

Other changes:

- search takes multiple terms with an implicit 'and' between them

- Add -show, which will display passwords in a search

- Add -copy, if your search comes down to 1 password entry, take the
  password and pipe it through the program specified in $OPASS_COPY or
  -copy-prog

- Add -copy-prog or $OPASS_COPY, this specifies the program to pipe the
  password to if -copy is used.

If you're on OS X, you can specify 'pbcopy' in order to put the password
in your clipboard.  It think xclipboard exists for Linux as well.

I do all of my ocaml work in a VM, so that means I usually run my ocaml
programs in it, including opass.  In order to get the password to my
physical machine, where my web browser runs, I do:

export OPASS_COPY="ssh 10.0.2.2 pbcopy"

I'm sure there are bugs in there, please feel free to email me directly
with issues, or open them on the github page:

https://github.com/orbitz/opass

Special thanks to:
Paolo Donadeo
Dominick LoBraico
Yaron Minsky

for their various contributions and additions.

/Malcolm

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-02-13 21:12 UTC | newest]