* [Caml-list] Update on docs.camlcity.org
@ 2013-02-04 15:10 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2013-02-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

I've updated the code search engine on docs.camlcity.org. As before, it
mainly bases on GODI packages, but it now also includes many OASIS
packages.

The search engine allows to search for definitions and uses of
identifiers in OCaml source code. For example, "List.map" shows the
files with the definitions at the top position of the result list,
followed by the references of List.map.

You can also search for type names, e.g. "in_channel". Type expressions
are not yet supported (but I'm working on this).

The search engines is especially useful when you want to read and
understand code you've not written yourself, and that uses libraries
you don't know yet. It's also good when you want to find sample code
that uses a certain function.

Note that there is also a browsing mode. Also, the viewer for source
code allows it to click on identifiers triggering an ad-hoc search for
other occurrences.

Start page: docs.camlcity.org
Query syntax: docs.camlcity.org/docs/syntax.html
FAQ: docs.camlcity.org/docs/faq.html

Technically, this update uses a dedicated full-text search engine for
the first time. It's my own development Amber (not yet publicly
released). The main advantage is the speed - searches take only a few
milliseconds now, but it also improves scoring (based on inverted term
frequencies). More about Amber later.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.

* Re: [Caml-list] Update on docs.camlcity.org
@ 2013-02-05  3:50 ` Ivan Gotovchits
From: Ivan Gotovchits @ 2013-02-05  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

Hello, Gerd!

Is it possible (at least in future) to search in emacs instead of
browser. Does your engine give access to some public API?

--
         (__)
         (oo)

* AW: [Caml-list] Update on docs.camlcity.org
@ 2013-02-05 10:08   ` Gerd Stolpmann
       [not found]     ` <20130205171000.GC16341@naxos>
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2013-02-05 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Gotovchits; +Cc: caml-list

Am 05.02.2013 04:50:00 schrieb(en) Ivan Gotovchits:

> Hello, Gerd!
>
> Is it possible (at least in future) to search in emacs instead of
> browser. Does your engine give access to some public API?

Not yet. But I was already thinking of an in-editor search. I only
don't have the knowledge to do it.

Making an API would be quite easy.

Gerd

> --
>          (__)
>          (oo)
>    /------\/
>   / |    ||
>  *  /\---/\
>     ~~   ~~
> ...."Have you mooed today?"...
>
> --

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.

* AW: AW: [Caml-list] Update on docs.camlcity.org
       [not found]     ` <20130205171000.GC16341@naxos>
@ 2013-02-05 18:19       ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2013-02-05 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. LoBraico; +Cc: Ivan Gotovchits, caml-list

Am 05.02.2013 18:10:00 schrieb(en) D. LoBraico:
> Given an API, I think it would be fairly easy to set up some sort of
> in-editor functionality for Emacs.

Ok, it's on my todo list now.

Gerd