From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
To: Vincent Balat <Vincent.Balat@pps.jussieu.fr>
Cc: "David MENTRE" <david.mentre@gmail.com>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Which development framework for web application in OCaml?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:26:12 +0200	[thread overview]

* Vincent Balat:

> I don't thing we can implement Ocsigen with CGI because our model is not "page
> based" (with Ocsigen, you program web site as a whole, like a usual caml
> program, you do not have a file for each URL). It may be possible with
> FastCGI (?).

I've written a small C program which "runs" a small script containing
instructions which environment variables to forward to a domain name
socket, using a very simple protocol.  In my case, the reason was
reduced startup time (the application isn't written in Ocaml) and
clean separation of web server process and application (different UNIX
users).  FastCGI could have done the same, I guess, but its license is
a bit obnoxious and I found it very hard to configure correctly when I
used it a couple of years ago.  The downside with my approach is that
you need to take care of starting the service by some other means.

This small C program hasn't been published so far because I hope that
someone else has already published something similar. 8-/