* What's up with google groups?
@ 2007-06-20 18:09 olsongt
From: olsongt @ 2007-06-20 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Sorry for the semi-offtopic admin stuff, but I've posted a few messages to the list via google group 'fa.caml' over the past months.  Or at least I thought I did.  They show up just fine when I look at google groups.  But they don't show up on the mailman archives at caml.inria.fr.

This makes me suspect that anyone subscribing to the list properly isn't seeing emails from people who post via Google groups.  Which might explain why the usually responsive Nicholas never answered this ocamlbuild question:

http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_thread/thread/592e166c1890f034/17890ce5f139a813?lnk=gst&q=ocamlbuild&rnum=7#17890ce5f139a813

Can this behavior be confirmed? Is there anything that can be done about it, or are we at the mercy of the mighty people at google?

I wouldn't mind it if google groups was read-only (or even non-existent for this list), but having a 'forked' version of the list seems like about the worst possible way for things to work.

* Re: [Caml-list] What's up with google groups?
@ 2007-06-20 18:25 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-06-20 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 19:09:44 olsongt@verizon.net wrote:
> Can this behavior be confirmed?

I believe the contents of this mailing list are copied to the fa.caml usenet
group that can be viewed using Google Groups. Perhaps this should be stopped?

I've noticed quite a few people posting to fa.caml without realising that they
are talking to themselves... :-)

The OCaml Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_journal/?e

* Re: [Caml-list] What's up with google groups?
@ 2007-06-20 18:33   ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-06-20 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

On Jun 20, 2007, at 7:25 PM, Jon Harrop wrote:

> I believe the contents of this mailing list are copied to the
> fa.caml usenet
> group that can be viewed using Google Groups. Perhaps this should
> be stopped?

No way stopped! Google Groups is the best archive browsing interface
by far!

> I've noticed quite a few people posting to fa.caml without
> realising that they
> are talking to themselves... :-)

It would be awesome to have a gateway that goes the other way around.

	Joel

--
http://topdog.cc      - EasyLanguage to C# translator
http://wagerlabs.com  - Blog

* Re: [Caml-list] What's up with google groups?
@ 2007-06-20 18:49     ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2007-06-20 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le 20 juin 07 à 20:33, Joel Reymont a écrit :

> It would be awesome to have a gateway that goes the other way around.

If that it not possible I'd also be in favor of closing the google
group.

Gmane [1] allows bidirectional access with nntp and http (+ rss
reading), and you don't need a google account.

Daniel

[1] http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general

* Re: [Caml-list] What's up with google groups?
@ 2007-06-20 19:11       ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-06-20 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bünzli; +Cc: caml-list

On Jun 20, 2007, at 7:49 PM, Daniel Bünzli wrote:

> Gmane [1] allows bidirectional access with nntp and http (+ rss
> reading), and you don't need a google account.

The Google interface is better by far.