* Job Posting
@ 2005-08-15 20:04 Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2005-08-15 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jane Street Capital (http://janestcapital.com) is a proprietary
trading company located in Manhattan. We're looking to hire people to
work both as quantitative researchers and as systems-oriented
developers, as well as people who would like to combine both roles.
We're also looking for students interested in internships for next
summer (though it's perhaps a bit early to worry about that...)

Jane Street is an open and informal environment (you can wear shorts
and a t-shirt to the office), and the work is technically challenging,
including systems programming, machine learning, statistical analysis,
parallel processing, and anything that crosses our path that looks
useful.

One unusual attraction of the job is that the large majority of our
programming is done in OCaml. Pay is competitive, and we're a
reasonably small company (around 90 employees), so advancement is
pretty quick for someone who performs well.

Here's what we're looking for:

- A commitment to the practical. Both development and research are
tightly integrated with our trading operation, and we work very
hard to keep our work relevant. One of the big attractions of the
job is the opportunity to apply serious ideas to real-world
problems.

- Great communication skills. We need people who can explain
things clearly and cogently, who can read dense academic papers
and write clear documentation.

- Strong programming skills. Pretty much all of our programming is
in OCaml, so being a solid Caml hacker is a big plus. Extra points
for deep knowledge of OCaml internals and experience wrapping
thorny libraries. But we're also interested in great programmers
who we are convinced will be able to pick up OCaml quickly, so
anyone with high-level of proficiency with functional languages
would be a good match.

- Top-notch mathematical and analytic skills. We want people who
can solve difficult technical problems, and think clearly and
mathematically about all sorts of problems.

- Strong Unix/Linux skills --- We're looking for someone who knows
their way around the standard Unix tools, can write makefiles,
shell scripts, etc. We're also very interested in people with
serious systems administration and architecture experience.

If you're interested (or have any students you think might be a good
match) and would be willing to relocate to New York, please send a
cover-letter and resume to:

yminsky@janestcapital.com