Others can probably give a better definition of type-directed programming than I can, and it's possible I'm misusing the time. But in any case, what I mean by type-directed programming is roughly this: for each type, you define a value corresponding to that type that contains useful information about the type. In our s-expression macros, these values are simply functions named sexp_of_ and _of_sexp for each type. The role of these values is to essentially give you a run-time representation of the type, in a rather static way. Macros come in by giving you a way to automate the generation of these type-related values, which otherwise can be rather tedious. y On 6/10/07, Joel Reymont wrote: > > Yaron, > > On Jun 10, 2007, at 9:02 PM, Yaron Minsky wrote: > > I actually think you can do this kind of thing with a combination of > > type-directed programming and macros. > > What would be type-directed programming in this scenario? > > Would this be done within camlp4? > > Thanks, Joel > > -- > http://topdog.cc - EasyLanguage to C# translator > http://wagerlabs.com - Blog > > >