On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Romain Beauxis wrote: > Le mardi 11 août 2009 16:50:07, Yaron Minsky a écrit : > > For someone who cares about functional programming, Jane Street is an > > interesting place to consider. Jane Street has invested deeply in > > OCaml, to the point where we now have the largest team of OCaml > > programmers in any industrial setting, and probably the world's > > largest OCaml codebase--over a million lines. We really believe in > > functional programming, and use OCaml for everything from research to > > systems adminstration to trading systems. > > Since you wrote a long mail presenting your activity, it would also be nice > to > present what you actually *do* with ocaml in this presentation. I guess > when > one seeks for a job, he might also care about this aspect, in particular in > the financial world. I think the text above does hint at the range of things we work on in OCaml, but if you want to get a better feel, there are a couple of good sources: first, there's an article that Stephen Weeks and I wrote for JFP, which you can find here: http://janestreet.com/technology/articles.php Also, there's video of a talk I gave at CMU: http://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/61 It's hard to be too precise in a short missive about the kind of things we do in OCaml, because our use is so diverse. One of the things that I think speaks well for OCaml is that we have found it to be highly effective for so many different kinds of things --- whether we're writing admin tools or research codes or automated trading systems, it is our tool of choice. I believe this message are an abuse of the mailing list. It would be more > respectful to use the dedicated mailing list, which is clearly indicated in > the same page where this list is documented, see: > http://caml.inria.fr/resources/forums.en.html > > "OCaml jobs and internships list ocaml-jobs AT inria.fr > This list is for exchanges between people looking for a job or an > internship > requiring skills in OCaml and people, corporations, universities, ..., > offering > such jobs or internships." I believe it's fairly well established that job announcements are welcome on the caml list, and that the appearance of the ocaml-jobs list does not change that. Here's a thread that asks and answers that very question. http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/9d3d8d1e38ff6025/91cb814e46e8c414#91cb814e46e8c414