From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@math.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
Cc: OCaML List Mailing <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Feedback on -safe-string migration attempts
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 11:11:14 +0900	[thread overview]

Hi Gabriel,

I think this is an interesting proposal.
We didn’t consider it when adding the -safe-string option, but I do
not think it is too late to change things in the compiler:
keeping compatibility with pre-4.02 code is essential, but Bytes
itself is still experimental, so changing the bytes type should be ok.

Actually, I think no decision was reached whether the ability to have
different internal representations for string and bytes is really important.
This may matter when you use javascript as backend, but otherwise?
If we decided to keep the same representation by default, then a
reasonable approach would be to adopt your proposal with the following
extra twist:

* in safe-string mode, string is an alias for immut bytes
	type 'a bytes
	type string = immut bytes
* in legacy mode, bytes is an alias for string
	type string
	type 'a bytes = string

To keep good compatibility, the functions in the String module would
only have monomorphic types.
The notation "s.[n]" is a subtle case, but a solution could be to have it
expanded to the monomorphic String.get in legacy mode, and to the polymorphic
Bytes.get in safe-string mode. This would allow to keep the "s.[n] <- e”
notation too.

I think this would be more comfortable to use than the current state.

	Jacques