From: "Daniel Bünzli" <daniel.buenzli@erratique.ch>
To: "Nicolas Pouillard" <nicolas.pouillard@gmail.com>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild and installed modules and libraries
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:20:56 +0100	[thread overview]

Le 16 nov. 08 à 21:37, Nicolas Pouillard a écrit :

> I'm a bit uncomfortable with this kind of dynamic or special tags.
>
> However the simplest solution to your problem is probably one of
> those:
>
>  1/ ocamlbuild -cflags -I,+xmlm,xmlm.cmx test.native

You meant,

> ocamlbuild -cflags -I,+xmlm -lflags -I,+xmlm,xmlm.cmx test.native

I still think using ocamlbuild with installed libraries/modules is a
little bit problematic. If we have to do it that way [1] we are hard-
coding the location of the library in the plugin which doesn't feel
right.

For me there should be (1) a way of defining the dependency on a
module/library (hopefully without needing a plugin) and (2) a way of
defining its location (-I). These two aspects should be decoupled.
This makes it easier to drive the installation process in build
scripts by using environment variables, i.e. I just need
to specify the location of the module/library I depend on via a
suitable -I $DEPDIR to compile the sources.

Best,

Daniel

[1] http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Using_an_external_library