From: rixed@happyleptic.org
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] C, threads, callbacks, and corrupted local_roots
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 12:51:49 +0200

> re:the debug
> runtime, at least upstream it is now enabled by default so I would
> expect opam to provide it with the compiler for recent versions, rather
> than in a separate package.

This makes sense.
Does it mean that the INSTALL.doc, which instruct to manually change the compilation flag and rebuild (see https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/blob/trunk/INSTALL.adoc#if-something-goes-wrong) is not up to date?

I guess this is the difference between libasmrun and libasmrund (I indeed have both installed), although objdump shows debug sections in both.
Indeed, when I compile without -fPIC and link with libasmrund on Linux it seems to run in some debug mode; ie. it does print additional debug strings, but there are no more debug symbols and it seems to be compiled with optimisations on all the same. Also, it crash at the very same line with the very same 0xfff in local root address.

Under macos I can;t link with libasmrun nor libasmrund as the linker then complains about missing symbols such as _caml_extern_sp. That's why I've been linking with libasmrun_shared in the first place. This so file does not seem to come with a debug version.