From: "Jon French" <jf451@cam.ac.uk>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] Only bytecode version of executable allocating huge amounts
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 12:32:21 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone on this list might have encountered this issue before, since it's got me pretty stumped.

We have an OCaml project ( https://github.com/rems-project/sail ) which tries to allocate huge amounts of memory, but only when compiled to bytecode. The native version works perfectly fine.

strace for an example run ends in:

> openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/ojno/work/sail2/lib/vector_dec.sail", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
> lseek(3, 0, SEEK_CUR) = 0
> read(3, "$ifndef _VECTOR_DEC\n$define _VEC"..., 65536) = 7031
> mmap(NULL, 1965819695104, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)
> brk(0x5729f32c4000) = 0x55603f2f4000
> mmap(NULL, 1965819826176, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)
> write(2, "Fatal error: out of memory.\n", 28Fatal error: out of memory.
> ) = 28
> exit_group(2) = ?
> +++ exited with 2 +++

which naturally fails since I don't have 2 TB of memory available.

The exact amount of the allocation varies from input to input and even run to run, but is always that approximate size. There's no characteristic pattern of heap or stack running out of control if I turn on memory debugging info in $OCAMLRUNPARAM, just that one huge allocation. When run in ocamldebug, it also doesn't appear to be failing at a location which is sensible to be allocating such amounts of memory -- and the location also varies with the input. And on tiny inputs it doesn't seem to try and make the allocation at all.

Are we actually seeing a compiler/runtime bug here? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Jon French
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge