* [Caml-list] [rpi] getting ocamlopt on RPi with raspbian
@ 2013-05-22 11:30 Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2013-05-22 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Hi,

While searching for [ocamlopt raspberry pi] on seeks.fr I've found this:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=23565&p=219670
which points to:
https://godirepo.camlcity.org/pipermail/godi-list/2012-November/003537.html
it says:
"""
If you read this, and OCaml-4.01 is already out, you probably
do not need to take care of the following, because the required patch
is probably already in this release
"""

I installed yesterday "2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img" which provides ocaml 3.

I've insalled ocaml libs provided by apt-get, included -dev libs.
I'm not sure to understand. What can we do with it without ocamlopt?

What is the prefered way to get ocamlopt working on RPi today?

Opam compiles fine with ocaml 3.
After closing all the other applications opam init can finish without
running out of memory.

So I thought to try to:
opam switch 4.00.1
[...]
+ ./boot/ocamlrun boot/myocamlbuild byte_stdlib_mixed_mode ocamlc
lex/ocamllex camlp4/Camlp4/Camlp4Ast.partial.ml
camlp4/boot/camlp4boot.byte camlp4/Camlp4.cmo camlp4/Camlp4Top.cmo
camlp4/camlp4prof.byte camlp4/mkcamlp4.byte camlp4/camlp4.byte
camlp4/camlp4fulllib.cma camlp4/camlp4boot.byte camlp4/camlp4boot.cma
camlp4/camlp4r.byte camlp4/camlp4r.cma camlp4/camlp4rf.byte
camlp4/camlp4rf.cma camlp4/camlp4o.byte camlp4/camlp4o.cma
camlp4/camlp4of.byte camlp4/camlp4of.cma camlp4/camlp4oof.byte
camlp4/camlp4oof.cma camlp4/camlp4orf.byte camlp4/camlp4orf.cma
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4AstLoader.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4DebugParser.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4GrammarParser.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4ListComprehension.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4MacroParser.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4OCamlOriginalQuotationExpander.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4OCamlParser.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4OCamlParserParser.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4OCamlReloadedParser.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Parsers/Camlp4OCamlRevisedParser.cmo
[...]
camlp4/Camlp4Filters/Camlp4MetaGenerator.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Filters/Camlp4Profiler.cmo
camlp4/Camlp4Filters/Camlp4TrashRemover.cmo
make[1]: *** [odoc_config.cmx] Segmentation fault
make: *** [ocamldoc.opt] Error 2

Without ocamlopt it's not possible to install most things from Opam...

Is there a wiki for ocaml on RPi ?

--
Thanks

* Re: [Caml-list] [rpi] getting ocamlopt on RPi with raspbian
@ 2013-05-22 12:34 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2013-05-22 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: Caml List

On 22 May 2013, at 12:30, Florent Monnier <fmonnier@linux-nantes.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While searching for [ocamlopt raspberry pi] on seeks.fr I've found this:
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=23565&p=219670
> which points to:
> https://godirepo.camlcity.org/pipermail/godi-list/2012-November/003537.html
> it says:
> """
> If you read this, and OCaml-4.01 is already out, you probably
> do not need to take care of the following, because the required patch
> is probably already in this release
> """
>
> I installed yesterday "2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img" which provides ocaml 3.
>
> I've insalled ocaml libs provided by apt-get, included -dev libs.
> I'm not sure to understand. What can we do with it without ocamlopt?
>
> What is the prefered way to get ocamlopt working on RPi today?
>
> Opam compiles fine with ocaml 3.
> After closing all the other applications opam init can finish without
> running out of memory.
>
> So I thought to try to:
> opam switch 4.00.1

4.00.1 (released) is not the same as 4.01.  Try:

$ opam switch 4.01.0dev+trunk

...which will give you a trunk compiler with all of the ARM fixes included.
Benedikt has committed several more fixes since the original one, so trunk
is generally in much better shape.  These changes will be in OCaml-4.1 when
it's released.

-anil

* Re: [Caml-list] [rpi] getting ocamlopt on RPi with raspbian
@ 2013-05-22 12:35 ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2013-05-22 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: Caml List

It's just camlp4 showing one more of its annoyances.

Proceed as mentioned here:

https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam/issues/493#issuecomment-13950204

Daniel