From: Dmitry Bely <dmitry.bely@gmail.com>
To: Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] C wrappers for Ocaml functions
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:06:07 +0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Tim Leek <trleek@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> example.  It doesn't even compile.  [Oddly, with very similar incantations
> my own code does compiles but then segfaults inside one of the Ocaml fns.]
> Any help much appreciated!
>
> -Tim
>

> 1. The implementation.
>
> % cat ht.ml
>
> type ht = (string,int) Hashtbl.t
>
> let create () : ht = Hashtbl.create 100
>
> let add (table:ht) key valu = Hashtbl.add table key valu
>
> let mem (table:ht) key = Hashtbl.mem table key
>
> let remove (table:ht) key = if (Hashtbl.mem table key) then
> Hashtbl.remove table key
>
> let _ = Callback.register "create" create
>
> let _ = Callback.register "add" add
>
> let _ = Callback.register "mem" mem
>
> let _ = Callback.register "remove" remove
>
> 2. The wrappers
>
> %  cat ht_wrap.c
> #include <caml/mlvalues.h>
> #include <caml/callback.h>
> #include <caml/alloc.h>
>
> void *ht_create (void) {
>  static value *create_closure = NULL;
>  if (create_closure == NULL)
>    create_closure = caml_named_value("create");
>  return ((void *) (caml_callback(*create_
> closure, Val_unit)));
> }
>
> void ht_add (void *ht, char *key, int val) {
>  static value *add_closure = NULL;
>  if (add_closure == NULL)
>    add_closure = caml_named_value("add");
>  caml_callback3(*add_closure, (value) ht, caml_copy_string(key),
> Val_int(val));
> }
>
> void ht_mem (void *ht, char *key) {
>  static value *mem_closure = NULL;
>  if (mem_closure == NULL)
>    mem_closure = caml_named_value("mem");
>  caml_callback2(*mem_closure, (value) ht, caml_copy_string(key));
> }
>
> void ht_remove (void *ht, char *key) {
>  static value *remove_closure = NULL;
>  if (remove_closure == NULL)
>    remove_closure = caml_named_value("remove");
>  caml_callback2(*remove_closure, (value) ht, caml_copy_string(key));
> }
>

> 3. Header file for those wrappers
>
> % cat ht.h
>
> void *ht_create (void);
> void ht_add (void *ht, char *key, int val);
> void ht_mem (void *ht, char *key);
> void ht_remove (void *ht, char *key);
>
> 4. The test program, with main() function.
>
> % cat ht_test.c
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include "ht.h"
>
> int main (int argc, char **argv) {
>  void  *ht;
>
>  caml_startup(argv);
>
>  ht = ht_create();
>  ht_add(ht, "foo", 1);
>  ht_add(ht, "foo", 1);
>  ht_add(ht, "bar", 1);
>  ht_remove(ht, "foo");
> }
>

> 5. And this is how I am attempting to compile it.  Note that error I'm
> getting here is in link.  If I add "-lm" it gets less noisy but still is
> mad at me. Why am I having to add math library?  Again, help!!

Wrong! You cannot specify ht.o as an output as ht.o is an intermediate
result of ht.ml compilation. Activate -verbose flag and you'll see.
Replace it with something like

ocamlopt -output-obj -o ht_out.o ht.ml

> % ocamlopt -c ht_wrap.c
> % cp  /usr/lib/ocaml/3.10.0/libasmrun.a ./ht.a
> % ar r ht.a ht_wrap.o ht.o
> % gcc -o htt ht_test.c ht.a  -lcurses
> ht.a(floats.o): In function `caml_ceil_float':
> (.text+0x193): undefined reference to `ceil'
> ht.a(floats.o): In function `caml_atan2_float':
> (.text+0x1ae): undefined reference to `atan2'
(...)

Why simply not to use

ocamlopt -c ht_wrap.c
gcc -o htt ht_test.c ht_out.o ht_wrap.o -L${OCAMLLIB} -lasmrun -lcurses -lm

?

- Dmitry Bely