* JoCaml
@ 2007-03-27 13:41 Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-03-27 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Is anyone using JoCaml in production?

Is JoCaml in active development or has the project been subsumed into
another one?

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/

* Re: [Caml-list] JoCaml
@ 2007-03-27 14:51 ` Luc Maranget
From: Luc Maranget @ 2007-03-27 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont; +Cc: Caml List

> Is anyone using JoCaml in production?
>
> Is JoCaml in active development or has the project been subsumed into
> another one?
>
> 	Thanks, Joel
>
> --
> http://wagerlabs.com/

We are working on a new version of JoCaml, that is of course
uncompatible with previous versions, but will be more compatible
with OCaml.

A JoCaml release will follow the next Objective Caml release.

--
Luc Maranget

* Re: [Caml-list] JoCaml
@ 2007-03-27 14:55   ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-03-27 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Maranget; +Cc: Caml List

Luc,

On Mar 27, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Luc Maranget wrote:

> We are working on a new version of JoCaml, that is of course
> uncompatible with previous versions, but will be more compatible
> with OCaml.

Are the planned changes listed anywhere?

Is there a paper describing the improvements?

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/

* Re: [Caml-list] JoCaml
@ 2007-03-27 15:02     ` Luc Maranget
From: Luc Maranget @ 2007-03-27 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont; +Cc: Luc Maranget, Caml List

> Luc,
>
> On Mar 27, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Luc Maranget wrote:
>
> >We are working on a new version of JoCaml, that is of course
> >uncompatible with previous versions, but will be more compatible
> >with OCaml.
>
> Are the planned changes listed anywhere?

Basically,

* Different syntax and no more code mobility.
* Two compilers (jocamlc, jocamlopt) and a toplevel (jocaml)
* Hopefully, binary compatibility with OCaml (Hum..)

> Is there a paper describing the improvements?
>
> 	Thanks, Joel

We are writing the documentation, nothing published yet.

--
Luc Maranget

* Re: [Caml-list] JoCaml
@ 2007-03-27 15:09       ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-03-27 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Maranget; +Cc: Caml List

On Mar 27, 2007, at 4:02 PM, Luc Maranget wrote:

> * Different syntax and no more code mobility.

What was the reason for removing code mobility?

> * Hopefully, binary compatibility with OCaml (Hum..)

What does this mean? I was under the impression that Jocaml
translated into OCaml.

Also, will there be compatibility with latest OCaml releases going
forward? My understanding is that the previous Jocaml was based on
Ocaml 1.x.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/

* Re: [Caml-list] JoCaml
@ 2007-03-27 15:25         ` Luc Maranget
From: Luc Maranget @ 2007-03-27 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont; +Cc: Luc Maranget, Caml List

> On Mar 27, 2007, at 4:02 PM, Luc Maranget wrote:
>
> >* Different syntax and no more code mobility.
>
> What was the reason for removing code mobility?
The price for ocaml compatility and for (relative) simplicity.
Code mobility may be added later...

> >* Hopefully, binary compatibility with OCaml (Hum..)
>
> What does this mean? I was under the impression that Jocaml
> translated into OCaml.
No, JoCaml is a modified OCaml system, besides parsing, typing
is different and we added a pattern matching feature that
must take place inside the compiler.

> Also, will there be compatibility with latest OCaml releases going
> forward?
We hope so, and this should be quite simple.
At the moment JoCaml is a branch in OCaml cvs trunk. Synchronization
at release time is quite easy. This enable compatibility at the source
level almost for free.

Compatibility at the binary level apparently works.

> My understanding is that the previous Jocaml was based on
> Ocaml 1.x.
You are correct.

--
Luc Maranget

* JoCaml
@ 2005-05-23  2:53 Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2005-05-23  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I'm wondering how I could contact someone responsible for the JoCaml
project (I assume it's still active in research circles). General mail
links on the old JoCaml pages don't work.

Kindest Regards,

Jonathan Roewen